One of each? I am so hoping.

MaesMom

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Hi There,

Hatched these Lavender Ameraucanas from eggs I got from a breeder in Texas. They hatched within 1/2 of one another, and I am testing my skills on sexing, and would appreciate your feed back.

I am believing the chick on the left to be the pullet by the feathering coming in. The lil cockerel has been some what slower. "She" has tail starts and "he" does not.

A couple other things I have noted are; the lil cock seems to elongate his neck more and keep in that position, as well has his head appears to be a bit more angular than the lil pullet. "His" comb appears to have better definition in the "peas" being formed, whilst "hers" appears to have a "softer" look to it.

They are exactly 2 weeks and 6 days today. They are super super sweet and totally fun.

Feather sexing only works on breeds that are bred for the trait, and I don't think Ameraucanas are one of them. Sometimes you can guess at gender based on the rows of peas on their combs (cockerels sometimes have 3 rows, pullets 1- if I'm remembering correctly), but that isn't always accurate. I think they're too young to sex, but they are cute!

Back
Top Bottom