One of my baby chicks was dead in the brooder box!??!

Jrd7788

Songster
Oct 27, 2018
I went to feed my baby chicks and found a week old dead in the bottom of the box. It was sooo sad! Does anyone know why she(Hedwig) could have died? She had no signs of coccidios or Mareks or any other disease frequent to chicks. She was bright eyed, alert and fuzzy. The only thing I could think of is that the yolk sak didn’t absorb completely or that the chick was already weak b/c as it hatched, I knew I’m not supposed to but I helped it out of the shell. It took over a day to hatch, and the other chick was already out, so I got a pen cap and gently peeled back the membrane. It was hard and sticky.

I went to feed my baby chicks and found a week old dead in the bottom of the box. It was sooo sad! Does anyone know why she(Hedwig) could have died? She had no signs of coccidios or Mareks or any other disease frequent to chicks. She was bright eyed, alert and fuzzy. The only thing I could think of is that the yolk sak didn’t absorb completely or that the chick was already weak b/c as it hatched, I knew I’m not supposed to but I helped it out of the shell. It took over a day to hatch, and the other chick was already out, so I got a pen cap and gently peeled back the membrane. It was hard and sticky.
I had one die this year after a week old. it had hatched on its own with the yolk out. that;s likely the cause. sorry for your loss. :hugs

I didn’t see the sak.Do you think she could just have been weak? Or that the old chicks were too rough? It could have been the sak didn’t pull completely or something like that. Thank you!

I didn’t see the sak.Do you think she could just have been weak? Or that the old chicks were too rough? It could have been the sak didn’t pull completely or something like that. Thank you!
i'm not sure i understand. was the yolk on the out side when she hatched?

the chick that i lost, was smaller than the others and was constantly chirping like it was cold i had to switch from MFP to a light bulb to get it warm enough. it died after traveling to its new home, dont know if it was the stress of moving or not. it had heat access, but my sister said it refused to go with the rest of the chicks.

How old were the other chicks in the brooder? She could have just been too weak, or maybe she got trampled. If I have a weak chick I usually put it in a small brooder with a 2 or 3 of the smallest most docile chicks from the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom