One of my chicken keep getting egg bound!!!!!

Tiffo

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2021
One of my girl didn’t lay an egg 2 days ago and she acted as she had egg bound, so I tried to give her warm bath and extra calcium she didn’t like any of that. But after not moving for 6 hours she finally laid an small egg with “white powder” all around. Her symptom didn’t disappear and after another hour she laid another- soft shell egg.
we took her to vet anyway she got bacteria in her nostrils. Vet gave us some antibiotics for the nostril infection.
yesterday she acted normal but didn’t lay.
today she acted normal in the morning but started as if she having egg bound again in the afternoon. It’s different this time coz she has appetites and did move around a little bit once in a while. We didn’t feel an egg in her belly.
we give them layer pellets and all sorts of fruits, greens and grains as treat. I don’t get why she would be egg bound!!!!!!!!!
I’m really worried about her I hope it’s just another egg bound not some illness can’t be cured.
The good vet for chickens I know is being really hard to get appointments.
Is it normal for chicken to get egg bound few days in a row??? Could the cause being her nostrils infection???? Or could it be something serious????
Please

her poo just now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 4
I'm sorry for her troubles.

It may help to give her only the layer pellets to eat. And a tablespoon per day of fresh greens or fresh vegetables.

This is because there are trace elements such as selenium that are important for her egg laying system. There is a narrow window between not enough and too much. If this is the problem or part of the problem, it will correct itself when she has had the right amount for a while. The pellets or crumb will have been tested so the right amount is in it.

I'm sorry I don't know how to help her in the meantime.

Sorry you are having difficulties. How old is she?

Most of ours are no longer daily layers. Some do a few days on the trot, then stop, others do an egg every other day or two.

She sounds like one of mine. Wouldn't move, very lethargic, not happy at all. She hadn't laid and was a daily layer, eventually did just like yours, laid two on the trot. She didn't have the white powder but has extra nobly bits on the eggs sometimes and can occasionally lay an egg that is like a matt powdery finish. She's fine but I keep an eye on her.

As for antibiotics - they can mess a hen up for a while. I keep making this mistake myself and forgetting to remediate with pro-biotics afterwards, basically because the original problem is sorted and so life goes on. But from now on, I am going to give live yoghurt to any hen that has had antibiotics. I may be being neurotic about it, but they seem to have gut problems after antibiotics which sometimes linger far too long.

Good luck with her. Keep you eyes out for how she is laying and as you know what to look for with stuck eggs, just check to see she's not holding any in.

Oh, forgot. Poo looks OK to me. She's not eaten much and there are urates in there, but it doesn't look "yolky" which is a bad sign. Again, keep an eye on it and visit the Poop Chart which is a pretty helpful guide to the rear actions of hens!

I'm sorry for her troubles.

It may help to give her only the layer pellets to eat. And a tablespoon per day of fresh greens or fresh vegetables.

This is because there are trace elements such as selenium that are important for her egg laying system. There is a narrow window between not enough and too much. If this is the problem or part of the problem, it will correct itself when she has had the right amount for a while. The pellets or crumb will have been tested so the right amount is in it.

I'm sorry I don't know how to help her in the meantime.
Thank you! I’ll try not to give them too much treat. They are just so cute!! I can’t help it!
She seems normal today I’ll keep an eye on her

Oh, forgot. Poo looks OK to me. She's not eaten much and there are urates in there, but it doesn't look "yolky" which is a bad sign. Again, keep an eye on it and visit the Poop Chart which is a pretty helpful guide to the rear actions of hens!
I did check the poo chart and worry it’s egg yolk peritonitis, which sounds scary.
she had lots sleep yesterday I separated her. The antibiotics might had some bad impact her too. I’m still giving her antibiotic as the vet said to let her have for a week and see. I’m starting to give them yogurt too. How often do you think I should feed them yogurt?

What do you mean that she had bacteria in her nostril? Did she have a respiratory infection or disease?
I actually don’t know. The vet didn’t seem to know chicken that well. My girl got black nostrils for a while and didn’t seem to come off. The vet checked it up said there are multiple types of bacterias, she gave us the antibiotics saying have it for a week and see how it goes…

Back
Top Bottom