One of my chicks can anybody tell gender?

TreyShanks20

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2015
Columbus, Nebraska
[/IMG]

welcome-byc.gif

You don't state age, which is always important, but I'm guessing, what, about 2 to 3 weeks? .

It is helpful also to know the breed, but I am assuming Australorp or possibly Black Sex Link (sometimes they can have a bit of white on the underside), or even a Black Orpington.

Even with those assumptions, it is too early to tell with any certainty unless it is a breed that has early sexing traits.

If it is a BSL, it is assuredly a girl as they are sexable at hatch because the boys have a white head dot representing the barring to come, while the girls are black (sometimes with a bit of white on the undercarriage) without any head dot. I think your bird has too much white at the throat to be a BSL.

With the other possibilities, or some other breed, there is no certainty, however, nothing is screaming roo at this point. Watch for comb development. Boys get larger and redder combs than the girls at an early age. Usually by 6 weeks you've got a suspicion that a little roo is emerging, but not always.

Post more photos as the chick is about 6 weeks of age, unless you know it is a BSL, which then you know it is a girl.

LofMc

I dont know the breeds. They were given to me by a guy giving them away and i totally have no way to get back in touch with him, I got them the day they hatched and the tan one is a turken

Last edited:
Then they could be almost anything including backyard mixes. Most importantly, at this point, small pale combs, so nothing screaming roo...but it is very early yet to tell much. Can't see the chipmunk in the back, or I might be able to say more about that one...but again without any clue as to breed, it will be difficult as there are a lot of breeds with chipmunk chicks.

I agree Turken with the tan one as I can see the naked neck.

White one...hmmmm....that could be a number of things, but I'll mention one possibility because it would make a difference in how you treat this chick. If it was hatched the same day, it looks larger already. Is that chick growing larger much faster than the others? If so, that would be a Cornish Cross which is a meat bird and which you' may want or need to keep separate from the others as it will grow much differently. You need to feed Cornish Cross higher protein than regular chicks (around 22 to 24%), but you should not leave the food out or they will over eat causing all kinds of issues. Cornish Cross come to table weight at about 6 to 8 weeks of age, meaning you will have a full size bird by then; so if you see phenomenal growth in that bird, you know you've got a Cross X. Usually people harvest at that time, but if you are wanting to keep it as a pet, or part of your flock, you'll have to take special care of it so that it gets the nutrients it needs but does not over eat and gets the exercise it should have. Left to themselves Cross X will eat themselves into oblivion growing so fast and becoming so heavy, they can no longer bear their own weight. As they are bred for short term life span, they can also have health issues if grown for a longer term unless special care is given. That is all assuming it might be a Cross X. If it isn't, then you just raise it like the rest.

Post pics again at about 6 weeks of age, and post of the chipmunk.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom