One of my chicks chirp sounds different than others. Sick , plugged nare?

Nikkijo

Songster
5 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Yuba City , California
Does anybody know what could cause a chicks chirp to sound different or weird compared to normal ? Almost like she’s sick or plugged up, it kind of sounds broken up . She’s about 2 months old. I first noticed about a week ago .

Can you post a video of the chirping? (upload videos to youtube or vimeo, then provide us a link - the BYC upload does not work)

Changes in how a chick sounds can be a number of things from the beginning of illness to the start of getting their "adult voice". Check her nostrils to make sure they are not plugged up with dirt or feed.

Look forward to hearing her.

Can you post a video of the chirping? (upload videos to youtube or vimeo, then provide us a link - the BYC upload does not work)

Changes in how a chick sounds can be a number of things from the beginning of illness to the start of getting their "adult voice". Check her nostrils to make sure they are not plugged up with dirt or feed.

Look forward to hearing her.

Mine are 2 weeks and one of them started to sound that way last night. I woke up and checked up on it and it was still sounding that way so I started to Google and my fear of infection kicked in so I put together a separate brooder box for the said chick. I separated it and then it started chirping loud just fine. But then my other chick sounded the same way. I do not know, never ran into this issue before. I kept the chicks in question separated but not sure if I need to worry.

Mine are 2 weeks and one of them started to sound that way last night. I woke up and checked up on it and it was still sounding that way so I started to Google and my fear of infection kicked in so I put together a separate brooder box for the said chick. I separated it and then it started chirping loud just fine. But then my other chick sounded the same way. I do not know, never ran into this issue before. I kept the chicks in question separated but not sure if I need to worry.
Can you get a video of the sounds? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

One of my chicks got a nasally chirp when she was around 2 day’s old. She was fine but her voice still sounds different from the others. If the chick has no other symptoms I wouldn’t be too worried. Check the nasal passages for blockage.

Yes, that is the best way to describe it! They seem overall healthy other than that.

The other concern was that another one started to sound the same this morning. That's when I started to Google and started worrying about all the possibilities.
I'll keep an eye/ear on it though.

The other concern was that another one started to sound the same this morning. That's when I started to Google and started worrying about all the possibilities.
I'll keep an eye/ear on it though.
Are you using DE in the brooder? I used it when the were little to treat leg mites, but it caused my pullet to start having a nasally chirp and it gave another one, what can only be described as asthma.

Back
Top Bottom