One of my chicks won't sleep! Help!

vbarry17

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Hi I am a first chick raiser/ owner and we got six chicks at two days old about five days ago. They are in a brooder in a bathroom and we have checked the temperature often. Two of our chicks had "pasty butt" and we noticed it the second evening we had them.. I cleaned the pasty butt as I was instructed by different websites. I even fed them a little plain yogurt in their feed to help with the pasty butt. One of the chicks that had pasty butt has not grown and is still much smaller than the other birds are at a week old. She chirps constantly and will NOT LAY DOWN to sleep at all.. Se tries to sleep standing up but wobbles and wakes up. I don't know what's wrong! I thought maybe I hurt her by cleaning her butt but the other one with the pasty butt is fine! Any ideas? She seems to be eating and drinking but is not growing or sleeping!

We tried to be very gentle and moisten it rather than pluck it off.. If it were hurt, would this make her not sleep? Will it heal?

She could be constipated. I have read of people on this forum with chicks with that problem. She must have something going on. Chicks chirp loud when the need or want something are scared, hungry etc. like a baby crying when it needs something.

She doesn't eat as much as the others but I have seen her eat and poop .. Something is definitely not right I just don know how to help her.

Back
Top Bottom