One of my ducks has a cold! Help.

SillyQuacker

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Ontario Canada
Hi, first time duckie owner over here, one of my ducks seems to be coming down with a cold shes making a little wheezy noise and has the sniffles and is sneezing, shes also cold despite having a heater on near her. I don't really know what to do with her. I've provided more clean dry bedding (hay and paper shredding), turned a heater on really low to help warm their house up, and gave her more clean water (I made sure there was enough for her to wash her face and clean out her nose) It's still freezing here so I can't let her go out to play and swim yet and I'm also worried about her sister catching whatever she has it's only 2 of them so I rather not split them up. Any help on this would be appreciated

Note: I seem to think she may have gotten sick from being out in the wind while it's cold out.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Well, ducks don't get colds like people do but they can be contagious to one another.

How old are the ducks?
What is the temp where they are?
Is whatever you are using deep enough for them to get literally their hole head in, eyes too?
What are yo feeding?

Hay and paper can mold and mildew when wet and mold is very dangerous for ducks.

One duck was born the beginning of October 2012 and the sick one was born the last or second last week of September so they're about 6 months(ish).

It's about -6 C outside right now but the indoor portion of their pen where they are is warm enough for me to be inside without a jacket on (I'm not exactly sure the temperature) I also have a heat lamp in there but I'm not entirely sure if I should use it.

I was sure I gave them enough water for them the stick their head inn completely but it's on the outside of the pen just so that they can't get into the water to swim as shes already cold and the last thing I want is for her to get worse.

They are eating cracked corn and veggies like mixed greens as corn is easier for them to digest in the winter but in the warmer months we occasionally give them a bit of whats called "scratch and peck".

Also the hay and paper is indoors so it has no means of getting wet besides when they come back inside and its changed regularly, what would you recommend to use in there instead?

Thanks

You can try something similar to what many people make for ducklings. Search for "spill proof duckling waterer" for pics.

For the time being, I would make sure to keep something in there. You can get a feed pan, like this http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/behrens-utility-pan-3-gal-capacity and put a bucket in it. When I had water in their house it contained the splashing pretty well.

If the discharge doesn't clear up soon with constant water access, you may need to think about antibiotics.

Thanks everyone, I forgot to mention that she doesn't really seem motivated to move around and do anything, she kids of just sits, shes also not eating her field greens as far as I can tell and I'm not entirely sure if shes eating her corn, she also sticks her tongue out a lot as if shes yawning or coughing with her mouth open. The other duck has 0 problems with her so I'm thinking that I'll leave the sick one as she is for the night and pick something up for her tomorrow, would I be able to get her the vitamins at a place like TSC? Also I contacted the woman I got her from to see if she can give me any advice. I'm really worried about her, the last thing I want is for her to die :/

Lethargy and lack of appetite change things dramatically. If you can, you may want to take her to a vet. I honestly wouldn't bother unless you can find one that is familiar with waterfowl or will basically just give you antibiotics. Most vets are going to charge you an arm and a leg and not really be able to do anything because they aren't familiar with the species.

There are a number of things that it could be. You can get vitamins at TSC. You may want to look into getting antibiotics, ASAP.

Unfortunately where I am most people only have cattle and horses so that's basically all they do besides usual vet animals, but I do have a friend who's uncle is a vet and I know he works with most farm animals so I'm going to see if he deals with ducks, on a good note she is moving around more (as in shes moving positions and sticking her head around and walking a bit), shes not really leaving the general area much but she never really does when it starts getting dark and she is going for the corn, which in my opinion is better than not eating anything at all. As for water I believe she is drinking it, and I turned on her heat lamp and she seems to be getting snuggled under it. As for the vitamins I can pick some up tomorrow for her what should I be looking for?

Good(ish) news guys! Lucy is now eating and is more willing to move around, I guess staying warm and resting helped a bit, either way I'm going out shortly to pick her up some vitamins and medication as shes still sneezing and coughing. Anything I should be looking for in particular to help her out, as in what medication and vitamins. Also my friends uncle does work with waterfowl so I have a place to take her if she doesn't get any better with medication and vitamins. Hopefully she gets over this quickly :)

Glad to hear it. You may want to see if you can give your friend's uncle a call since he could recommend what will be available locally. Since they aren't getting a commercial feed, you can get a vitamin made for poultry or gamebirds. Broad spectrum antibiotics include amoxicilin, tetracycline and penecillin.

Back
Top Bottom