One of my Easter Eggers became a Hen today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilblessings5, Jun 15, 2010.

1. lilblessings5

lilblessings5 Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    Illinois
    Found a little blue egg laying right outside the coop door! - I hope she finds the nesting boxes soon.. I Just found 1egg so far - I have 17 Easter Eggers that are 19 weeks old today. So, I'm pretty excited. Was hoping to have lovely green/blue eggs for the farmers market which starts on the 26th and now it looks like I will.

Thanks for letting me share.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Lets see a pic of that pretty egg! Congrats too; it's always so exciting to get that first egg. Have you placed golf balls or fake eggs in the nest boxes?? That will clue them in as to where they should lay...

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wahoo! First egg! [​IMG] Congratulations!

By the way, pullets turn into hens when they are a year old - but that's just definitions. I like the idea of First Egg being the change from pullet to hen; much like when my mother told ME "Now you're a woman!"

'Course, that was slightly different..... [​IMG]

4. ZepChick

ZepChick Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    Oh wow! I remember our first egg...I was so proud of...one of my girls?? [​IMG] We were so excited for it, but we set it down and our dog ate it. Do you have any plans for said egg?

5. lilblessings5

lilblessings5 Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:Well- Said Egg is already been Fried and on my 3 year olds plate. LOL - she couldn't even wait till breakfast tomorrow (already ate breakfast once today!)

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I wanna see that purdy egg! Congrats!

I'm eagerly awaiting my first egg from my pure Ameraucana's. One of them squatted for me the other day, so I'm really close!

7. lilblessings5

lilblessings5 Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:Yup- it became 2nd breakfast for my 3 year old. LOL

8. lilblessings5

lilblessings5 Songster

Jan 28, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:Oh - I bet thats going to be one gorgeous egg!

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Oh - I bet thats going to be one gorgeous egg!

And I can't wait to see if they are fertile! They are in with my Welsummer rooster, so Olive eggers will be coming when the eggs get to a decent size! (and my coop gets finished)

10. ZepChick

ZepChick Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    HAha! I bet your toddler was thrilled to eat "green eggs". Now you guys can read green eggs & ham and eat them, too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by