One of my FBCM chicks has a bum leg.

natemoore1986

Songster
9 Years
Aug 3, 2012
It looks like her right knee hyper...actually, over-extends. She’s putting all her weight on the left leg.

About two weeks old. What do I do?

Looks broke . My chicks arrived and 2 had major leg issues I brought them to the vet immediately after I had the others settled in there new home. The vet said that it’s little leg was broke and I requested she be put down and the other had goofy silkie feet and turned out she was just struggling a bit . She is fine now just a bit of a tippy toe Walker . And yes put down not culled. I’m just not that person. 🤷🏼‍♀️I would not recommend waiting too long as no animal should suffer in pain. Good luck and I hope it’s just splay or something fixable.

I watched a few youtube videos and decided to made a splint out of a plastic Q-tip. I moved the flock to a larger brooder in my workshop, and left this one by herself in the house. The Q-tip seems to be helping to keep her leg in a good position. She isn’t getting accosted by 15 other crowd-surfacing chicks and is resting now.

It does look broken from that video. If you take off the splint, take another video and post it. Chicks heal really quickly so 1 week might be long enough.

Hope the little one does well.

I removed the splint. She does seem to be walking more normally. I think I'll keep her away from the other 15 pullets for a while because they like to crowd surf when they're panicking. Besides, the little light Sussex chick I saved from certain death the other day likes her.

Back
Top Bottom