one of my girls is missing.

Glad yours came home. My white EE disappeard one night (couldn't find her to put her in the coop) and the next day I went looking for her and found a pile of white feathers in the woods behind our house. No blood, no parts, just feathers. Never saw her again. She was sooo sweet too
sad.png

First I am happy that your hen was found safe.

My sister lives just north of downtown Seattle in a very urban area and has dealt with predators on an off for 30 years now. Mostly with raccoons, getting in and killing her chickens. It is safer to assume that there are lots of predators, than assume that you are safe in an enclosed neighborhood, because you haven't seen any. You might not deal with coyotes, but raccoons and other predators really like living near humans. We provide a easy menu and steady diet of wonderful tasty treats. We had a mama opossum have babies under our deck last spring, even though I have a bunch of Yorkies patrolling the backyard. I too am in an enclosed sub-division neighborhood and I have been told that the neighbors 3 doors down are feeding raccoons. I figure it is only a matter of time before they find the girls. I have to admit that I am praying that the coons are so well fed that they don't need to kill to survive, but I can't count on that. The red tail hawks are another predator that used to make my kids so mad, because of the mess that they make of a chickens carcass.
sickbyc.gif

Well I do have predators...who doesn't? Eagles are my main concern though. We live so close to the freeway....and i mean it is literally just over the fence....literally, so we don't see much in the way of predators. We do however have an eagle's nest very near our home. And I know coons are virtually everywhere....I just meant that we are not as vulnerable here as some. Trust me I love my chickens to death and I keep a close eye. My EE went missing on the husband's watch....won't make that mistake again.

Congrats on your hens' safe return. One of my EEs (The Duchess of Yolk) went missing overnight the first time I let her out to free range with the older ones. She was full grown but new to our place. We found her hiding out under some low hanging cedar branches the next morning. After a short but sweaty hen chase she was put back in the run for a few more days before being let out again. I guess she learned her lesson 'cuz she sticks around with the flock now. Clipping your hens' wings isn't going to stop her from wandering off, it'll only stop her from being able to fly to safety if she is chased by predators. Chickens can put a lot of miles on in a day.

So glad she came back!!! If only she could talk, she could tell you of her adventurous night out!
I live in a pretty rural area outside of Seattle and one of my main worries is raccoons. My neighbor who has had chickens for years (I'm a newbie) told me that they have never had a raccoon attack that they know of, saying that they have so much available for them to eat out here that they do not attack. That being said, they told me that they have lost a few to hawks and coyotes. I see the hawks flying above us all the time, I worry when my chickens are free ranging, which is only if I am working outside. I also worry for my little chihuahua! My chickens love to be outside of their run, but I know if something ever happens to them while they are out I am going to be very upset with myself for letting them out.

Back
Top Bottom