One of my Hens is Crowing !?!!?????

Cybergardener

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
Wet side of Washington
Funny thing this morning. I went out to the coop and was messing around outside the coop before I went in, like I usually do every morning. Our rooster (an EE) started to crow like he always does. I looked in through the window on the door and saw him on the edge of a nesting box crowing. He likes to crow there. Next to him was our female EE. She started to crow as well. He would crow, she would crow, he would crow, she would crow . . . and on and on and on... Now her crow as a pitiful crow, but gosh darn it, she stretched her neck out and crowed with him.

Our mixed flock is almost 19 weeks old. Two are already laying eggs. The female EE is not laying yet. Her comb is just starting to get some color and waddles are not even showing. Others in the flock as far more mature than she is. Our male EE has a blood red comb and crowing often. He has a very dominate personality. Have not witness any mating yet with the sexually mature females (those that are laying). The female EE is NOT the dominate hen.

Anyone want to guess why she is having gender identity issues? I've heard that hens will sometimes do this in absence of a rooster. But we do have a rooster.

No, more of a long tone. She was trying to mimic him. She made her sound about 15 seconds after he made his. They sat there almost touching shoulder to shoulder. I wonder if she is having ovary problems???

Back
Top Bottom