One of my hens just died coughing blood please help

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
Hello one of my hens was acting funny this morning and I went out a little bit ago and she wasn't in the run she always very week laying on the coop floor flopping like she couldn't breath and she was coughing blood when she died what could have happend to her is it contagious thanks in advance.

Were there any signs of injury? If not I would see about having a necropsy done to determine cause of death.

U have to pay for that
Pay for what? A necropsy? If you do it is money well spent to know exactly what you have and what to do about it. You have been trying to acquire eggs from SQ silkie stock. Maybe use that money to determine why you have lost birds instead. At one point you wished to be NPIP certified. NPIP doesn't test for every poultry disease, and being certified does not mean you are free from all diseases. But it does infer that you are interested in halting any contagion your flock may have.

Last edited:
Pay for what? A necropsy? If you do it is money well spent to know exactly what you have and what to do about it. You have been trying to acquire eggs from SQ silkie stock. Maybe use that money to determine why you have lost birds instead. At one point you wished to be NPIP certified. NPIP doesn't test for every poultry disease, and being certified does not mean you are free from all diseases. But it does infer that you are interested in halting any contagion your flock may have.

I meant the veterinary thing that pops up but I found that it's just something that pops up when on there website to talk I to the vet

I might consider talking to the vet near by that deals with poultry and see what hey think if I see anything change wih the flock tomarrow I am going to scrub down the coop with bleach as I do every couple of weeks to help kill any bacteria growing

You can contact your local vet or university/college ag department on information on where to send a bird for a necropsy. The necropsy itself is free when done by the USDA, but you'll need to pay for shipping.

If you have another bird die of mysterious circumstances, I would *not hesitate* to send them in. Wrap the body in plastic bags and place in the refrigerator (NOT freezer) until you can ship it. They will be able to give you a diagnosis to help determine any steps required to move forward in the best interest of your flock.

It's also possible your bird ate something metal, like a screw or nail.

I am sorry for your loss.

MrsB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom