One of my hens keeps pecking me - please help

Suffering the same problem i have only one roster and a hen I know you are thinking its so little I am 13 and just raising them as my pet because i love chickens . Not as business .you know my parents even did not gave me permission to raise even those two after making a lot of promises and requests I got those two well is being two days that my roster pecks me as most of you are saying to hold it up side down , talk to it,or tap at the back of its head etc but my one even do not give me a chance to raise m hand towards it . Its movements are so quick that it at once peck me. I can not practice any of these activites . What should i do
hu.gif

Last edited:
I was lucky, as a kid I spent a lot of time chasing frogs and other fast animals so jumping up to a bird wasnt as tough.
Still, those beaks move fast.

Can you use something to help you?
A tennis racket? Trashcan lid? Something that can be put in front of you and your hand for the chicken to peck as you get in close enough to grab it. A glove can make a big difference too on giving you the confidence to get up close.

Often it is really helpful to keep one hand close and just out of peck range, but much more distracting than the other hand that you quickly grab them with once in range. Also dont expect it to go perfect, you will probably have to try many times and start by hanging on to whatever few feathers you happen to get until you can pull him in and get a good grip.

Keep trying new things is my best advice.
As soon as you give up on teaching them that you are the boss, they give up on learning anything from you.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom