One of my hens keeps pecking me - please help

chozie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
Hiya, I have 4 hens (the only 4 I've ever had so new to all of this) - the 3 warrens are about 25 weeks old and one of them started laying me an egg a day last week - yummy!

I have one problem - Mary (a warren)!! She has always been a very nosey and a bit "pecky" but over the last few days she seems to just be being malicious! She bites me, my leg, my feet, my fingers, my arms, anything she can get hold of and she's starting to leave marks! She always has to be near me if I am in the garden which I wouldn’t mind but I don't get anything done because she is just trying to peck me constantly.

Does she hate me? I've never done anything to hurt her!
hide.gif

Last edited:
Well, with some dogs a simple tap on the nose and good stare will work, others.....
Same with chickens. Sometimes the pecking order fights are quick and just a couple bumps, other times the chicken wont back down and feathers fly.
It really depends on wether or not the animal believes you when you say "I'm in charge."
In other words the more you believe it, the more they believe it and the less thumping there is.

Not trying to be mean, just honest.

EDIT: So to be exact, some thumps are very gentle and only meant to get the attention of offending animal, other thumps are more than that. I prefer the least thump required.

Last edited:
I call it flicking! Like you are flicking a cigarette away from you. I had to show one of my girls I was the boss by flicking them on the beak and standing my ground. She would run up to me with neck stretched as far as she could like she was king of the hill and then peck my feet. I didn't do anything at first but as she got older it started to hurt and I said enough is enough, I then realized she was trying to prove that she was head honcho! I gently flicked her on her beak and then stood there and told her with eye contact, Sorry lady you ain't in charge here! I am! It worked! Come on, I know you talk to your girls like they can understand you! I am not the only one! LOL! Good luck be firm, but gentle!

my chicken made me bleed 6 times please help me and she pecked my lip.

Please don't let your chickens too close to your face. You could easliy lose and eye even from a friendly pet chicken. Sometimes they will peck at things that look interesting to them, not even meaning to hurt you. Their beak can do a lot of damage.

errrrmmmm, pass. Can Warrens be male? Sorry if that's a daft question but I'm very new to this. Here's a pic - she is the one on the right

Last edited:
With animals, and birds there is an order.
for chickens its the pecking order, and size has little to do with it. If the bird (or any animal) thinks its on top then you have to correct its mistake. A good couple thumps to say "I'm in charge" is part of nature. If you doubt it then check out the pecking order fights in the flock.

Good luck and dont be afraid to remind your birds that you are mama, and that means boss.

when you say "thump" can you be a bit more specific - to me that means punch hard which I'm sure you don't mean.

Back
Top Bottom