One of my Isa Brown hens is acting really strange (in a bad way) and I dont know what to do

Oceanpizza

Chirping
Jun 4, 2017
I found one of my Isa Brown hens (about 1.5 years old) on the floor this morning. She was on her back, with her eyes closed. She had her legs fully extended out. What’s wrong with her, can it spread to the other chickens, and how do I treat it?

I will post pictures if needed

Attachments

• 8B851A33-527A-4B77-AB10-D1D9CB8C434B.jpeg
    8B851A33-527A-4B77-AB10-D1D9CB8C434B.jpeg
    1,019 KB · Views: 23
Pick her up, warm her. If she is alive. If not, take her out. An agricultural extention may be able to check to see how she died to see if it is contagious. But if it is something like bird flu you will have to destroy all your birds. Or try to find an avian vet. Check her vent. If she is alive and has an egg stuck she needs to sit on a heating pad, that might work...but she looks like she might not make it. First steps for a sick bird is separate and put in a heated area at least 90 degrees, but warm up slowly.

Did you chicken die? She looks to have been in a heavy molt or possibly was feather picked. Are your other chickens looking that way? Chickens can suddenly die, but there can be subtle signs beforehand. The best way to find out a cause for illness or death is to refrigerate the body, and send it to the state poultry vet on ice packs. Here is a link of most state vets to reach one:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

She has not died. She has even laid an egg (although it is rather small).

I talked to an avian vet, amd they said she probably hasnt eaten/drank for a few days and her kidneys are probably failing. We have been giving her electrolyte-enriched water through an eye dropper throught the day. I just hope she’s okay!

Is she moving her legs and wings, and swallowing normally? Is she pooping? Can she stand and walk at all? I would offer some cooked egg, and hold a small lid of water with electrolytes and vitamins to her beak. Molting can be a stressful time, and chickens can become more easily sick from common diseases they have been exposed to. A chicken sling is a good way to get a weak or lame chicken upright in front of food and water.

Back
Top Bottom