One of my ladies has lost her feathers in COLD December but only around her neck!

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi All - I know sometimes it is hard to tell between molting and bullying...but my Nellie, who usually stays to herself anyway and I don't THINK she is the lowest of the four in pecking order because I have seen her take food out of another chicken's beak. Sometimes I think she is secretly the second in command...and also I pay a lot of attention to them and observe them and I have never seen anyone bully her, so I don't think it's that...but yesterday randomly I noticed all of a sudden that she is missing a whole bunch of feathers all the way around her neck. I DO see several pinfeathers coming in underneath which to me suggests a molt, but why on the neck at this time of year? The chickens came with this house when we moved in this August and the previous owner said they were new chicks in March. I think they start. molting at their face/neck and finish at the back, but why would mine just be starting in this already super cold (low 30s) weather??? I don't want to take her inside because I don't want her to acclimate to heat - any suggestions or thoughts?

Taking food out of a beak does not determine pecking order place.

She will be OK with the cold. It's the bullying thats an issue.

I DO see several pinfeathers coming in underneath which to me suggests a molt, but why on the neck at this time of year? The chickens came with this house when we moved in this August and the previous owner said they were new chicks in March.
Some pullets do stop laying and have a partial molt their first fall/winter.
Nothing to be alarmed about.

Some pullets do stop laying and have a partial molt their first fall/winter.
Nothing to be alarmed about.
Ohhh that is great to know! It does seem like a partial one, but being a newbie and reading up on molts, I thought she was going to start dropping the rest little by little and then be a naked lady!

Ohhh that is great to know! It does seem like a partial one, but being a newbie and reading up on molts, I thought she was going to start dropping the rest little by little and then be a naked lady!

Attachments

• eX6aaRJ%QnCAGxHnDvhzKw.jpg
    eX6aaRJ%QnCAGxHnDvhzKw.jpg
    917.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom