1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of my Pekin ducks died, should I get a new duck for my other Pekin duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pekin12ducks, Apr 28, 2016.

1. pekin12ducks

pekin12ducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Monday morning I heard one of my Pekin ducks going nuts outside, and I walked out there and only found one duck, with other feathers all over the place (some feathers were bloody) and that's when I relized something got one of my ducks. I went outback to go see if I could find the duck, I did, it was horrifying, we buried it, so we didn't leave the poor thing out there in the woods. But now my question is that I don't know if I should get a new duck for my other Pekin duck. Will my Pekin get along with a new duck, or should I get a duckling? And would it be ok if it was a different breed of duck?? Please help[​IMG]

2. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Oh, no! [​IMG]
    Yes, you should get another duck. Your Pekin is no doubt lonely. It's fine if it's a different breed. I would be afraid to put a duckling with an adult duck; the adult may injure the little one, so it should probably be an adult duck.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    First, take care of the security problem.

Get an unbreakable mirror to help the lone duck for now, and try to spend as much time as possible with your Pekin.

Whether you get a duckling or adult, it will take time to introduce. For ducklings, they need to be introduced face to face when they are as tall as the adult. But raising them side by side (opposite sides of a fence) will help them get used to each other.

With adults, they need to be side by side (separated) for a few days, then introduced with supervision. Anything more than a little poking and chasing means separate them again and try again later.

4. pekin12ducks

pekin12ducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016

Yes I'm spending as much time as possible with my Pekin and she is currently living inside in a tub right now until I get a better protected coop for her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by