one of my rhode island red hens trouble

AmyTx101

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 11, 2012
well one of my rhode island red hens Dorothy is having huge issues with this texas heat 103.. i keep going out and moving the shader to make sure it keep covering the coop and she was laying in the shade kinda on her side with her legs out panting then she fluffed her heathers out then got up and ate her cold watermelon treats and went back down into her same little dug hole with her chest laying in the whole with her butt in the air.. when she is laying down like that is she trying to get cool or is the heat getting to her.. also another one of my hens (Rose) two weeks ago noticed her eye was shut no nose discharge just kept it closed so i called my neighbor over who had hens as a kid picked her up to look at her and her eye was gone.. so we thought that was weird two days later we checked her again to make sure it wasnt infected and her eye is back.. then it disappeared again i dont know whats going on but it keep appearing and disapearing..shes not in any pain.. but for the most part my chickens are hot and i change there water twice a day to keep them cool.. they now have a new coop so they are much happier but still hot

as you can see the top pink thing on her head (dont know exact word) has a sore on it. and below her eye about an inch another sore.. at first i thought she was being pecked by other chickens but i think she did it herself.. not sure

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom