One of my three chickens has never laid an egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wroblow, Dec 7, 2008.

1. wroblow

wroblow Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I have three chickens. Two of them are 9 month old buff orpingtons and one of them is a 7 month old araucana. One of the buffs has been laying for about 3 months and the araucana has been laying for about 2 months.

The problem is that the other buff has never laid an egg! Is this normal? Her comb is very light pink and the buff that's laying has a bright red comb, does that mean anything?

these are my first chickens and I've been feeding them what the feed store has suggested (about a month ago a mix of layer pellets, oystershell and crumble and now just the layer pellets and oyster shell). I also have a light in the coop since the days have gotten so short.

If none of them were laying I would think I was doing something wrong..but it's just the one. The other two lay an egg every day.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Never say never. [​IMG]

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    When's your birthday? maybe she's saving her first egg for then? [​IMG]

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Check that one carefully for sickness worms or disease. If its comb is light is it getting enough food and is it at the bottom of the pecking order. Some times one will get bullied away from the food. Maybe it is laying every other day and the other is laying on the off days. Jean

5. wroblow

wroblow Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Portland, OR
    My birthday is in April, I hope she's not waiting that long! Maybe she's punishing me for giving the other chickens names first?

I don't think she's on the bottom of the pecking order, but I will keep an eye out for that now. The other buff is certainly the top hen (her name is Big Mama, so I think she has to be!), but because the buffs are a couple of months older than the Araucana they've always been the bullies. I do watch them eat when I feed them my kitchen scraps and she (her name is Blanche) always gets her pick at those.

One thing I just have to mention (being a newbie) is that I had no idea how pet-like chickens could be. They have their own little personalities and it melts my heart when they squat down and wait for me to pet them [​IMG]

6. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Howdy Neighbor!

Are you certain she's not laying? I mean, how would you tell the two BO's eggs from one another? 2 eggs per day for 3 hens is pretty good. The two BO's could just be alternating days.

If you're certain, that I don't know why. She's plenty old enough. Is she going through molt or anything thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by