One of my turkeys died!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moonwalker, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    One of the turkey poults I got in last Friday was dead when I got home today.
    [​IMG]
    I kinda had a bad feeling about it because from the start it has peeped almost constantly. It was eating and moving around with the others, but it did seem a bit more clumsy. Didn't seem to be anything wrong with it as far as looking compared to the others. I am guessing simple failure to thrive.
    :f
    Hope the other ones stay healthy!l

2. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss

DeeDee

3. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'm sorry!

That's the problem with raising turkey poults because it's just so hard to keep 'em going up until a certain point in time.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Sorry I wish I could have some turkeyes for thanksgiving and just to look at my mom likes them but they are big and loud.

Good Luck with them I hear they can be dificult.

Hen

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry....sad.....
    JJ

6. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Sorry to hear that.

I hope the other ones grow up healthy and strong. Have you posted pics of your wee turkeys? I'd love to see them.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    :aww [​IMG]

9. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Thanks for all the sympathy. It's amazing how quickly these little guys can get under your skin!
    The other two seem to be doing fine, as are the chicks, with the exception of a few with pasty butts. I have cleaned them off and made sure vents aren't blocked. I will be putting a bit of oil on them to help prevent sticking.
    The ducks....they sent me hyper active aliens! They can see me come through the front door from where the cage is and they all start trying to get out the bars of the cage as soon as they see me. They jump up and down and when I pour water into their dishes, they jump up to catch it as it pours.I had to give them a big pan with about 2 inches of water in it because they would all try to swim in the waterer till they splashed it all out.
    I can't wait till they are big enough to go outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by