One of our chicks died

emilyehrhart

Hatching
8 Years
May 15, 2011
We had four chicks (all one week old), but I found one dead today. We're wondering if we should replace the chick that died. We like the idea of having 3 or 4 chickens, so we thought maybe we should get another in case one of our the chicks we have now dies. I'm concerned about bringing another chick into the flock...will the other chicks accept it? What if the chick brings with it a disease that spreads? Any suggestions or input would be much appreciated.

Get ten
smile.png

I bought 6 chicks then a week later got 2 more. So there was a week difference in ages. they are now 6 and 5 weeks (today). We've had zero problems with them. Want to move them to the outside (larger) brooder but right now we're waiting for the weather to warm a little at night (lows at night this week the low 50's and tonight expecting 49) Days have been in the high 90's and this past week in the mid 80's. the cardboard box brooder in my shop is way too small, wall to wall chicks. they love it outside. then in a couple more weeks, the big move to the tractor.

good luck, I don't think you will have any problem, keep the age difference as close as possible.

sorry to hear of your loss. we started out with intentions to get 2, we got 4 instead, they are now 41/2 and 51/2 weeks old. last sunday we picked up 2 ,3 day old silkies, we're keeping them in a separate brooder since they're sooooo tiny. our theory has become the more the merrier!!

Back
Top Bottom