One of our girls was missing for over two weeks...

One evening over two weeks ago, one of our girls, Henrietta, vanished into thin air. We searched everywhere for days to no avail, and eventually resigned ourself to preparing for the worst.

Yesterday morning we got a fresh batch of pullets in from a nearby farm and were in the garden settling them in. Our friend who was visiting saw that the dogs were hunting shrews in their usual patch under a big tarp we are using to suppress weeds, and he wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

So he peeled back the tarp, and there was Henrietta!!! Safe and sound, pancaked over a clutch of eggs. We popped a small spare coop over her and gave her some food and water. Our elder cockerel, William, has been standing watch by her coop since we found her. He's such a good boy. I don't know how she even fit under the tarp, let alone managed to survive with no obvious food or water sources for 16 days. We walk across that tarp all the time when we are gardening, so it's a miracle she wasn't injured in all that time.

I'm over the moon that our Henrietta has been found safe... there was a part of me that never stopped hoping she was out there somewhere raising some babies and would come back to us. Today is day 17 since she has been missing so we will hopefully have chicks very soon.

View attachment 3517686View attachment 3517687View attachment 3517688
Good rooster and Henrietta! Go Girl!

Chick pics are here! Out of the original fifteen, eleven survived. We had to help four of them in a makeshift brooder but they are all healthy and strong now. One of those was ready to go with mom yesterday; the rest will hopefully be reunited with her this evening.
20230601_163757.jpg
20230601_150511.jpg
20230601_132151.jpg
20230601_171521.jpg

The reunification of the last 3 brooder chicks went smoothly. Waited until Henrietta had all the chicks out and about in the run, and then we just popped them in amongst their siblings. She didn't bat an eye.

Here's a family photo with all the little ones:

Attachments

• 20230602_160926.jpg
    20230602_160926.jpg
    929.7 KB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom