One of our Orpingtons started moaning tonight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 402captain, Sep 8, 2014.

1. 402captain

402captain New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Sandwich, Ma
    This is Gracie one of our 2 yr old Buffs. She started moaning this evening. We have her in a warm bath but this is our first chicken illness. Gracie is the favorite of our flock of six.

Any suggestions would be helpful

[​IMG]

2. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Chickens will not moan out of pain. That would simply attract predators.
    How has she been acting otherwise?
    Has she been running around like normal?
    Eating and drinking?
    Clucking or making any other sounds?
    Panting as if she is hot?
    Has she been making this sound nonstop?

3. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Could a respiratory illness cause this?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That sound is called stridor, and it may be that she has something--an object or piece of food--stuck in her airway. I would get an extra pair of hands and look inside her throat for any object or unusual looking yellow or white patches. Many people have posted here about similar sounds from a hen that disappeared overnight. Here is a link about stridor: http://www.merckmanuals.com/profess.../symptoms_of_pulmonary_disorders/stridor.html

5. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

Yeah, that is the only thing that came to mind for me too. However, it doesn't sound like a rasping or wheezing type of moan.
    Maybe if she is acting normal otherwise, it is just one of those quirky chicken things?

6. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I saw these videos. May be helpful. The first is a hen that sounds just like yours. The second is an update video about what fixed it.

7. 402captain

402captain New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Sandwich, Ma
    According to The Children and my wife she was fine until about 5pm (EDT) Then she started doing what is in the video. She just stands in one spot. Basically what is in the video is all she is doing. We will try to get in her throat so see if there is anything in there. She and the others were out running free in the yard. Nothing has changed out there. and the tend to stay together. All the others are fine.

Thank you for the responses

8. 402captain

402captain New Egg

Apr 28, 2013
    Sandwich, Ma
    Update on Gracie,

We came to the conclusion that she got something stuck in her throat. I massaged her throat a little and put her to bed. I got up early and checked on her. She was back to herself this morning.

Thank you for all of your help

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by