1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One of these is not like the others...roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VintageFarmer, Jun 3, 2016.

1. VintageFarmer

VintageFarmer New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Friends,

I have three beautiful 3 week old Buff Orpington chicks that I purchased through our local feed store at just a few days old (Parsley, Sage and Rosemary or RoseMARK). All has been well until I noticed that one of them wasn't losing the baby fluff like the others OR getting the tail feathers like the other two. I didn't think too much of it until I started noticing his/her comb growing with a light pink/red tint. At that point, I started to watch his/her behavior and have noticed:

*He/She is much more friendly and curious than the others and will be the first to explore new things. He/she was the first one to jump on me AND up onto my shoulder!
    *Tends to almost stand up straight when investigating something while the others don't and really tend follow him/her. He/she will even RUN around the yard, and I mean run fast! I've never seen the others do that.
    *Feet and legs look bigger/thicker than the other two.

I know you don't really know for sure until they are older, but I need to have a game plan just in case he/she is a roo as I am limited to only three chickens and NO roosters in my community.

What are your thoughts...roo or hen? And, have you had luck finding a new home for a rooster?

Thank you for your input! This is my first time raising chicks and I LOVE it so far, just a little disappointed that I may have a little rooster on my hands!

-New chicken mama

Here is Rosemary who I think is "RoseMARK" at three weeks old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rosemary (or RoseMark) is the one in the middle at just a week and a half old - notice his/her lack of feathers on the wings (his secondary wings?) and tail.

[​IMG]

2. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    It looks like a rooster! But you never know i have a australorp hen we didn't now what it was until she layed an egg! Still looks and acts like a rooster! :)[​IMG]
    The wonderful day when i saw her sitting on the nest LOL

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

Too young to tell for sure, but with that stance and everything else you said it is likely that is a cockerel. [​IMG]

4. VintageFarmer

VintageFarmer New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Well shoot! I was hoping that it was all in my head!

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

Like I said, it is too young for anything to be sure. There is a chance it is a girl, just more likely it is a boy.

6. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    x2

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    please don't hate me but, I think it is a cockerel. But, a really adorable one

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    4x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by