One of those more dollar than sense coops.......Inside pictures added

It's so adorable and bright and cute! And we all know chickens don't care how sporty they look... I love it.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
The run itself is weld wire covered in nylon and has a skirt all the way around which extends about 1 foot. Because most predators would dig nearest to the outside wall the skirt keeps them from getting in. Also when the vegitation growns through the skirt, the root system keeps it firmly in place (as an added precaution I added 6 well placed garden stakes). If a predator get past all that, the exit door swings out and locks into place, then swings closed and also locks into place there is a lever at the top that needs to be pulled and twisted to be operated. I tried to pull the door open to check and I feel confident it will do the trick.
The egg port do is at the top side (i think you can see it in the photo) it also has the same twist type lock. The coop/Eglu itself is made of reclaimed plastic cartons and will last a long, long, time, then the whole thing can be recycled again. I was impressed with the small size of the footprint as well, added bonus is as I'm trying to be more concious I'm also able to be more self sufficent, composting, gardening, and raising my own food for consumption while teaching the children a valuable lesson.

<<I'm also able to be more self sufficent, composting, gardening, and raising my own food for consumption while teaching the children a valuable lesson.>>

That's very smart and doing it in a compact way!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I'll get some pictures of the inside soon, and actually cleaning is a breeze, just use a garden hose on full blast, blows the poop to smitherines, let it dry in the sun, and shazam DONE. Right now I have wooden roosting bars, (the only wood in the whole setup, so virtually no problems with red mites) I've ordered some plastic ones designed for the Omlet and I understand they wipe clean with a cloth. Total clean up time I do weekly 1/2 hour...Once a month I do a more thorough clean, and really get into it with a brush and disenfectant this takes about 1 -2 hours.

Hey I think it's cute also! Whatever works for you and your $ and if you and your chickens are happy then all the better.

Edited to add... I have a friend who has a $500 designer purse and absolutely loves it ( I think it is the dumbest thing on the planet to spend that kind of money on a purse ) but I am sure she thinks the same about the money I have spent on my chicken coop and run. Fact of the matter is it's YOUR money so spend it how you want.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
don't be dissuaded by those comments - the best part of chickens is there are lots of ways to create a real nice home for them. And you ARE a chicken keeper so you belong here too.
smile.png
How many hens are you keeping?

I have mainly been curious about the eglu size. It seems really small so some interior pics would be nice!

I think it is GREAT! I am a big fan of the egglu and I dissagree that it is to expensive. I bought a chicken hutch and yard and it was $300 plus, one year later I have had to do renovations on it because it is not as weather proof as they said.

Good Job fellow chicken keeper!

Right now I have four. The girls aren't a heavy breed so they fit quite nicely. I know of people who have an Eglu (like mine) which hold four and they also have an Eglucube (which hold up to 10) together in the same walk in run and keep 18 hens and often when he checks there might be four or five in the cube and the rest of the girls cram into the smaller Eglu The inside diamater of a circle is larger than that of a square (no corners) so it's actually alot roomier than it appears, but I'll get some inside shots soon (as soon as I clean it.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom