One out of five pullets does not lay

JeffKlapper

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
I decided to try chickens this year and got 2 RIR, 2 welsummers (one of which turned out to be a roo) and 2 Marans.
One of the Marans has not laid an egg. The only difference between the two is that the non laying bird's comb flops over and is not as bright red as her sister's. And she is fat! Eats but does not put out...

Any clues as to how to get her started?

It could be that's she is just not ready to lay, yet. You didn't say how old they were.. could be molt, not enough light etc..

I have EE (29wks old) and Ameraucanas (33wks old) and not one egg from them...

It took four weeks longer for one of my BO to lay after her sister started...

Thanks for the reply. They are all about 8 mos old and all but this one are laying, which is what leads me to think something is not right with this bird, no molting, all have the same light, got 4 eggs today from the others...

I'm thinking it has something to do with the pale floppy comb. All are getting the same organic layer feed
so it can't be that

Thanks again

I've had easter eggers that never laid. There was just something wrong. I culled one bird after about a year and she was so fat it was unreal.

I would seperate her, cut back on her food and give her some vitamin supplements and see if she lays in another 30 days. If no eggs, then you need to decide if you want to keep her as a pet or cull her.

Back
Top Bottom