One rooster tried to spur the other! Does one need to go?!

Sad to hear. What made you choose to rehome Almonzo? Who won the fight?
Almanzo was top but guessing from all the blood he was taking the worst of the fight. Royal hardly had anything. I broke up the fight and put Almanzo in a dog kennel. Almanzo is the one who is aggressive so that’s why. I got to cuddle with my girls again! It was so nice! Royal seems really nice and easy going so far.

Almanzo was top but guessing from all the blood he was taking the worst of the fight. Royal hardly had anything. I broke up the fight and put Almanzo in a dog kennel. Almanzo is the one who is aggressive so that’s why. I got to cuddle with my girls again! It was so nice! Royal seems really nice and easy going so far.

I see. Best of luck with Royal. His behaviour might change as he assumes the role of top male. I'd also like to mention that almost no male appreciates the keeper cuddling with his girls; how they react depends on the bird

I see. Best of luck with Royal. His behaviour might change as he assumes the role of top male. I'd also like to mention that almost no male appreciates the keeper cuddling with his girls; how they react depends on the bird
Yeah what do you mean by the cuddling? Would he mind them sitting on my lap? Almanzo is gone. I’m hoping he’ll have a great life the other three are still doing good over there so hopefully he will too!

Yeah what do you mean by the cuddling? Would he mind them sitting on my lap? Almanzo is gone. I’m hoping he’ll have a great life the other three are still doing good over there so hopefully he will too!

Hope he has a great life as well, with lots of company. IMHO, almost all, if not all males do not like people messing with their females. Some will tolerate it, for sure. Others, as in the case of Almanzo, not so much. Not saying you should only handle them when absolutely necessary, but cuddling with them like puppies would be slightly aggravating for any male. They are his girls, after all. Royal will soon realise this. Be careful, his behaviour might change

Hope he has a great life as well, with lots of company. IMHO, almost all, if not all males do not like people messing with their females. Some will tolerate it, for sure. Others, as in the case of Almanzo, not so much. Not saying you should only handle them when absolutely necessary, but cuddling with them like puppies would be slightly aggravating for any male. They are his girls, after all. Royal will soon realise this. Be careful, his behaviour might change
Yeah I’ll watch out for any new behavior. With Almanzo you could tell by his eyes.

So I have two roosters Almanzo and Royal. Royal is bigger but Almanzo is top rooster. They were out free ranging Almanzo was just pecking around when Royal jumped at his head trying to spur him. They will be one in Feb. they’ve never really fought besides Almanzo giving Royal peck here and there. Almanzo chased Royal off but he was slightly bleeding I think around his mouth and comb just a little. Well now they both look like they want to fight I tried to keep them distracted but I had to come in. I have a place I can give them to they would go to a good home it would actually be them place I got them from. Three of my other roosters have already gone there. I will really miss whoever I give away I love them both but I don’t want them to get hurt. So should I just let them fight it out and leave them or should I give one away? The question is which one? Almanzo has attacked me once but that was a little while ago and he hasn’t done it again. Royal has never attacked me but will his true colors show if Almanzo is not there? I would love to hear your thoughts I don’t know what to do!
Its difficult to keep even brother Roosters with girls. Once theyre mature theyll compete. That means fighting or at least sparing. They also wont allow each other to mate. There can be a lot of clumsy fighting on top of a poor hen. Hens suffer from being jumped on twice as much as one rooster would. Rooster should have their spurs removed for the hen’s sake as well !

Its difficult to keep even brother Roosters with girls. Once theyre mature theyll compete. That means fighting or at least sparing. They also wont allow each other to mate. There can be a lot of clumsy fighting on top of a poor hen. Hens suffer from being jumped on twice as much as one rooster would. Rooster should have their spurs removed for the hen’s sake as well !
How would you remove the spurs?

Back
Top Bottom