One rooster tried to spur the other! Does one need to go?!

A lot depends on your set up. If you free range and they fight, one can usually get away. If they are in a coop/run, then one can kill the other, or they are both so injured you have to put them down, which previously you said you did not want to do.

If you are free ranging from dawn to dusk every day, maybe you could keep them and let them duke it out. If you free range for a couple of hours a day, or a couple of times a week, I would let one go. I really don't think that living in a flock where they fight often is that great of life.

I solve for peace in the flock. What I have found, is that there is a lot of tension in smaller flocks with two roosters. I have 11 hens, and earlier this year, I had two roosters that seemed to be getting along. I had a friend that needed a rooster and I gave them one of mine. What was amazing is how much tension left the flock. My whole flock, hens and Longjohns is much calmer without the two roosters.

Let one go for sure, be darn tempted to let them both go.
Mrs K

Almanzo is the head rooster even though he’s smaller and has only ever attacked a little kid

Well he gave me the evil eye and for the first time ever attacked me trying to use his spurs on my leg I held up my boot and he just kept jumping and jumping at it with his spurs his pretty neck feathers flared. He got really tired started breathing hard slightly wheezing.
From what I read in your other thread he already attacked a child before he took you on and even went on for quite a while attacking your leg/boot.

This would be a no go for me as he is human aggressive which will only get worse as soon as he has Royal out of his way, so he can fully focus on you.

Keep Royal and watch his behaviour closely for any change to human aggression.

Ok thank you for all your responses! Just to be clear Almanzo is top rooster. Royal attacked Almanzo who chased Royal off. They only come out for a little bit in the morning there are way too many predators around to let them free range all day. Do you think Royal would turn aggressive if Almanzo was gone?

Ok thank you for all your responses! Just to be clear Almanzo is top rooster. Royal attacked Almanzo who chased Royal off. They only come out for a little bit in the morning there are way too many predators around to let them free range all day. Do you think Royal would turn aggressive if Almanzo was gone?

There is no way to know for sure unless you try it

From my limited experience roosters can be a bit tricky. They do have a base personality.
Royal may try to take you on when Almanzo is gone, but it should be a much less of an aggressive approach from him.
I have a bunch of roosters and one was very aggressive in attacking me. Finally it cost him his life. There are other roosters that seen to be giving it some thought and a very half hearted try. With those, all I to do is stop and look at them and talk to them and they change their mind.
However, as I said, I have a bunch of them so it's a different dynamic

Almanzo and Royal had a fight and I’ve decided to rehome Almanzo. I’ll really miss him he was always my favorite.

I have 2 roosters. Both have attacked me in their younger days, and I swiftly put them in their place (in different ways, but never violently). They have begun attacking one another again recently, though last spring, when they turned 1, was the worst. I was honestly brought to tears in frustration and stress by their never-ending fighting, and with constantly needing to tend to a very bloody bird or 2. About 3 weeks ago, both of my boys duked it out while I was at work, and now my beta male has a single spur, and the alpha has none. I have taught myself to just sit back and let them fight their fight, only intervening if it looks like things are going badly, or if one of them does get hurt, or if the beta is trying to escape and my alpha is ceaseless in going after him (extremely rare). I say just let them be but watch them carefully.

Back
Top Bottom