One rooster tried to spur the other! Does one need to go?!

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
So I have two roosters Almanzo and Royal. Royal is bigger but Almanzo is top rooster. They were out free ranging Almanzo was just pecking around when Royal jumped at his head trying to spur him. They will be one in Feb. they’ve never really fought besides Almanzo giving Royal peck here and there. Almanzo chased Royal off but he was slightly bleeding I think around his mouth and comb just a little. Well now they both look like they want to fight I tried to keep them distracted but I had to come in. I have a place I can give them to they would go to a good home it would actually be them place I got them from. Three of my other roosters have already gone there. I will really miss whoever I give away I love them both but I don’t want them to get hurt. So should I just let them fight it out and leave them or should I give one away? The question is which one? Almanzo has attacked me once but that was a little while ago and he hasn’t done it again. Royal has never attacked me but will his true colors show if Almanzo is not there? I would love to hear your thoughts I don’t know what to do!

I always just let mine duke it out, there should be a winner, & a loser in about 15mins - 1hr(Depends on the individual birds). But if I see the fight going too far that's when interfere so the one on the losing end don't end up severely injured, or possibly dead. This is rare though.

I always just let mine duke it out, there should be a winner, & a loser in about 15mins - 1hr(Depends on the individual birds). But if I see the fight going too far that's when interfere so the one on the losing end don't end up severely injured, or possibly dead. This is rare though.
So they shouldn’t kill each other or hurt the other really bad?

I would let them fight it out. Given their age, it is very, very unlikely to be lethal, it usually isn't anyways. The other boy attacking you is a matter of its own. Are you willing to handle a male that might possibly attack you again? If the answer is no, then give him away regardless. Considering Royal is the top boy, I would not expect a difference in behaviour

So I have two roosters Almanzo and Royal. Royal is bigger but Almanzo is top rooster. They were out free ranging Almanzo was just pecking around when Royal jumped at his head trying to spur him. They will be one in Feb. they’ve never really fought besides Almanzo giving Royal peck here and there. Almanzo chased Royal off but he was slightly bleeding I think around his mouth and comb just a little. Well now they both look like they want to fight I tried to keep them distracted but I had to come in. I have a place I can give them to they would go to a good home it would actually be them place I got them from. Three of my other roosters have already gone there. I will really miss whoever I give away I love them both but I don’t want them to get hurt. So should I just let them fight it out and leave them or should I give one away? The question is which one? Almanzo has attacked me once but that was a little while ago and he hasn’t done it again. Royal has never attacked me but will his true colors show if Almanzo is not there? I would love to hear your thoughts I don’t know what to do!
I always just bring my paper towels out with me every night to the chicken coop because one of the roosters is always bleeding. The are bound to get in fights. Personally, I would just let them work it out but if it gets too serious. Then rehoming might need to be an option.
For which one to rehome and making that hard choice - If possible cage Almanzo off from Royal and see how Royal reacts. Also do you plan on hatching eggs? Choose the prettiest rooster! Hopefully this helps - and I love there names!!

The longest, nastiest fight I've had happen here was between my project Giant Silkie rooster, & a black Sumatra Rooster. The fight lasted about 8hrs, the Sumatra was a loser, & the Silkie was trying to kill him. I had to come to the Sumatras aid, though that particular rooster hated my guts. He was so sore, he had a limp, bloodied head, & didn't have a care about me. His recovery took several weeks.

I would let them fight it out. Given their age, it is very, very unlikely to be lethal, it usually isn't anyways. The other boy attacking you is a matter of its own. Are you willing to handle a male that might possibly attack you again? If the answer is no, then give him away regardless. Considering Royal is the top boy, I would not expect a difference in behaviour
I think Almanzo is the top one

Back
Top Bottom