One says Production Reds, one says Rhode Island Reds; what do YOU say?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shesapip, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Shesapip

Shesapip In the Brooder

I don't know if I'm ready for this,
    [​IMG] but go ahead and tell me what you think. Rhode Island Reds or Production?

[​IMG]

If they're production, it'll be the second time I've gone down this road since March. [​IMG]

I'd like to remedy the problem sooner rather than later!

Thanks, you wonderful BYCers! [​IMG]

2. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Looks like mine, rir, but who really knows, I got them from the feed store. Look like you have 3 roos in there. I can show you pics If you want them, but they look just like yours.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  3. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    they look dark enough to be RIR's, very similar to mine.

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    look like my production did where did you get them from if its a supply store i do believe its most likely a production because they are cheaper per chick like if they got em from ideal they are i do believe but both are great birds

5. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I am leaning more toward RIR, but not for sure.

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Those are production RIRs ... Someone on here has some beautiful Mahogany RIRs hatching eggs...I can't remember who it was though.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I would say those are a perduction / hatchery red or a very bad RIR...
    I would say 3 young roosters and 2 young hens the one chick not to shure on..
    There should be no laceing in a RIR's wings..
    Chris...

This is 5 to 7 week old RIR out of my Exhibition stock by November he will look like his dad in the other picture....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a production red or a production RIR simply a hatchery quality RIR? The lighter coloured feathers (as compared with exhibition birds) indicating that it was not bred for plumage and conformation qualityh, but rather that the focus was on egg/meat production?

9. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    They look like my one sold as RIR. But now i think i got a production..lol

Never the less they are cute and i do see 3 roo's

also lux_interior , I have tattoo envy.......lol JEALOUS!!!i have 15 and need more [​IMG]
    Sorry for the hyjacking [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a production red or a production RIR simply a hatchery quality RIR?

Some say that, however, Ideal sells both Production Reds and RIRs. I've seen them in the feedstore. I bought their RIRs with my original flock and the one girl I have left is almost as dark as my breeder quality RIRs, however, her body type is quite different. I think that production reds can also have New Hampshire Red blood in them, a cross, though not sexlinked.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: