One SERIOUSLY scary virus!!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by luvmychicknkids, Mar 7, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Some here know my middle son (he is 9) has been quite sick all week and we weren't really sure what was wrong. He has had blood test after blood test, a cat scan, X-Rays, urine tests, you name it, the kid has had it done. They started out thinking it was his appendix but quickly ruled that out. Finally, what they decided on was this: He caught a stomach virus (something that has been going around and my oldest son recently recovered from) and instead of acting in the normal way, it shut down his digestive system and instead of having diarrhea like one would normally, he became impacted. OMG, this was one sick little boy! He is not a child who lives on junk food and soda. We eat quite healthy and drink water almost exclusively. He has missed an entire week of school, he is still feeling not quite right, but he is getting much better. I just couldn't believe something like this could happen. I just had to share because this is something I have never heard of happening but I am sure it could happen to someone else.

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Well I know what you have been through with the sick child...my 14yo son's appendix ruptured last Thursday night and he had emergency surgery Friday morning. He had been "not feeling well" for a week or so, but it hit hard at midnight Thursday night and wouldn't let up.

His was much easier to diagnose though and he's doing well now.

I hate your little guy had to be sick for so long before they found out what it was and that he had to go through all those tests. I hope no one else in the family gets it. I'm praying for a quick and full recovery for your son and some rest for you.

~Rebecca

3. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I hope he is feeling well soon.
    There has been some awful stuff going around this year.

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thanks, guys. Yes, there are some AWFUL viruses. Kinda scary really!!!!

Sorry about your son, needmorechickens!, I know that had to be awfully scary! An appendix rupturing is one of those things I always worry about. Hope he is doing much better now!!!!

6. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Best wishes for a quick recovery for him now that yu seem to know what's going on! How scary that must have been

7. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    hope all is well now,and you can sneak some rest in. [​IMG] micah

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Poor little guy! I have never heard of anything like that either! When my son was 9 his appendix ruptured. But his bowel had thickened and wrapped around it holding the poisons inside that slowly leaked. It took 4 days to figure out what happened, 7 days in the hospital and two surgeries. [​IMG]

9. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I hope he gets well soon. I know how scary a sick child can be. Sometimes you feel so helpless. I cried for weeks when my daughter got sick. My life was at a stand still waiting for test after test. Being a mom can be so hard sometimes because we will never ever stop worring even when my kids are 50 + they will still be my babies [​IMG] Best luck for your little one on a speedy recovery.

10. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thank you so much for all the kind words and thoughts, guys. [​IMG] He is almost back to normal. Still pretty tired but he played outside a lot today and ate almost his normal amount. That means I can stop staring at him now and let both of us rest!!! LOL And I agree, they will NEVER stop being our babies!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by