One side seems swollen

Ducktown

Songster
May 8, 2017
Howdy!

My duck grows nicely, it's now 12 days old. I'm starting to take it outside, because we have days with temperatures around 30°C. It is starting to eat various bugs and I've seen her eat at least two little frogs that escaped the garden pond.

I am feeding it chick starter feed and cracked corn. Today I started adding oatmeal to reduce protein percentage. It was really effective in foraging, I've seen her catch flies, grasshoppers, cicadas, ants, earthworms, earwigs, frogs, slugs, ...

The question I have is. I noticed that one side of the duck's abdomen is swollen. I think it's just gizzard doing the digestion thing (I am not sure if it started eating grit), but I decided to ask anyway. It has astounding appetite and I haven't seen any troubles moving. It can't be really seen on the photos, but I guess you'll have an idea! Last photo is the most evident.

WP_20170531_17_42_03_Pro.jpg
WP_20170531_17_40_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20170531_17_29_17_Pro.jpg

It looks ok to me the only thing I would suggest checking to make sure his/her feed has niacin in it. It may not be much issue if he/she is getting plenty of bugs and foraging but I've adopted a lot of disabled ducks because their previous owners didn't realize they needed niacin and would only feed things like scratch or bread. Sometimes chick starter but it doesn't all have the supplements ducks need

ducks need higher protein then chick starter. Something like flock raiser is good. Corn is too early and yes, you need to give it some grit. I guess thats why its doing a good job on your bugs. full of yummy protein for it.

20% starter grower with niacin. Too much protein in waterfowl will cause angel wing.

Chick starter has a bit over 20% protein. It has grown considerably during last couple of days. Corn doesn't seem to be an issue, the only thing is, she doesn't really like it, at least not as much as she does the chick starter stuff and now oatmeal - she starts singing and hardly ever stops eating. She does the same when I pick something that has bugs hiding under and she starts picking them one by one. Chirp chirp chirp chiiiirp! :D

I also give her brewer's yeast on a daily basis. Her legs and bill are getting huge :)

PS: I don't see the swelling anymore. I'll be able to see better tomorrow though, when I get her outside again. I will go easy with oats and corn now. Don't want her to strt getting any kind of deficiency. I'll check tomorrow if she returned to normal. Will let you know. Thank you!

PS: I don't see the swelling anymore. I'll be able to see better tomorrow though, when I get her outside again. I will go easy with oats and corn now. Don't want her to strt getting any kind of deficiency. I'll check tomorrow if she returned to normal. Will let you know. Thank you!
maybe her crop is just swinging sideways. LOL

Back
Top Bottom