One skinny chicken

pilatik

Chirping
May 24, 2015
Hi all,

One of my chickens is very skinny, and I'd love some advice on what to do! Not sure if I am worrying needlessly.... The chook I'm worried about weighs 3 pounds and has a fairly sharp feeling breastbone. The other is 4.5 pounds, feels much fatter and more solid. Skinny chicken has always been skinner, but I thought she'd catch up as she grew.... Now I'm starting to wonder. She is a bit flightier than fat chicken, and hangs out in the nest boxes more often.

Both are 7 month old Black Australorps from the same farm. I feed them ~1/2 pound of layer feed a day, plus some scratch and veggies. They free range during the day, so forage as well. They have two bowls for their feed, so I don't think that the other bird is keeping her from eating. Both have been laying for about 2 months now, and lay regularly (6-7 eggs a week!).

Could she have worms or pests of some sort? I've been thinking she doesn't because fat chicken seems just fine... Can worms affect only one in a flock? Both are vaccinated for Mareks and I add a bit of diatomaceous earth to their coop when I clean it.

Has anybody else had this happen? Any suggestions for a newbie with backyard chickens?

Thanks!

Sara

It could be worms or something like that. You can try mixing diatomaceous earth into the food so she eats it. If that doesn't work, some sugar water may do the trick. It could also be she simply needs more food than the other hen or is just naturally skinny. Don't fret too much unless she starts acting strange or her stool looks weird.

IF it IS worms, DE wont treat them. For worming, I recommend Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or Safeguard liquid goat wormer.
Also, visually inspect your hens for lice/mites.

Back
Top Bottom