One swollen eye, help!

WarHawk

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2021
We recently got a new leghorn and today I noticed she has a swollen eye only on one side, she is not really showing any other symptoms that I can see other than maybe being a little tired, any idea what it might be? And what treatment I should begin.

Swollen side:
20210706_134810.jpg

Normal side:
20210706_134839.jpg

Look inside her ear for infection or mites.
I would also check around her head for any ticks.

Any lesions or canker inside the beak?
I don't see any visible lesions or cankers and no mites or ticks, I was told that it is a sinus infection. I was told to treat with vetrx and la-200 so far no improvement though.

Last edited:
The swelling appears to be mainly on the top right part of her head above her eye, I will see if I can get a better picture. She still has no other symptoms.

Look inside her ear for infection or mites.
I would also check around her head for any ticks.

Any lesions or canker inside the beak?
Update: Today I decided to flush her eye and I noticed something in the upper corner of the eye, I pulled out what looked like a splinter, maybe that was causing issues?

It is true that getting a foreign body in the eye can cause swelling around the eye and lead to an infection. Respiratory diseases such as MG or coryza are also possible causes. Peck wounds and insect stings can do this sometimes too. I would flush the eye twice a day and apply some Terramycin eye ointment or an eye drop. Plain Neosporin has worked if no other treatments are available.

You can add oregano, parsley and basil to their water. Basil is an antibacterial a good for mucus membrane health. Garlic is an anifungal and it benefits the circulatory system. Oregano combats coccidia salmonella infectious bronchitis avian flu black head and ecoli it also strengths the immune system. Parsley is high in vitamins aids in blood vessel development and it's an egg laying stimulant. You can plant these around your run and the chickens will eat them. If they don't eat the seeds 1st. I just plant some in a bucket and keep it around for when my chickens show any signs of illness. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom