One too many in the cookoo nest.

CrazERanch

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Alabama
Hi there! So about two years ago my local animal shelter had an adult RIR Rooster and after going unclaimed I gave in and adopted him. We bought a house and 5 acres and the previous owner did the chicken thing so we had a good size chicken coop that housed just spiders, weeds and mice at the time so he was all set. And of course after a couple months I thought he needed a friend so off to the flea market we went and picked up two hens. Then a friend called with a sob story from a friend of his and we ended up with a few more hens. And these calls continued and now here I am, two years later having built two more chicken coops and chickens coming out the woodwork! Lol Aside from "they lay good eggs", I can't tell you much more. Help!!

I know I have a Sexlink rooster and about 6 of them are RIR. I'm pretty sure I may have a couple Brahma's or are they Spotted Sussex? What are the white ones with no comb? I was told Orphington but aren't they more of a golden bird? And I got a couple that I was told were Barred Rock but when I google pic's it brings up black and white birds where these are more red.

I hopefully got a few pics attached. Any suggestions would be great!!
[/IMG]

buff orps
the whites look like white rocks
group pic i see production reds, buff orps, white rocks, and what looks to be a deleware or a sussex

Thanks everyone for your replies! My biggest questions were on the white ones. I might try for better pics tomorrow. There are 3 with distinct differences. But 2 have feathered legs. I'm considering downsizing and may start weeding out the odd balls (only 2 buff orps but no rooster). But i gotta know what they are. Lol

@Farmerchef....what do you mean delawares are barred where my hen is black?

How old are the white birds in the second photo? Their legs don't seem yellow enough, and combs seem too small to be White Rocks if they are adults.

The white bird with black on her neck and tail could be a few things--I cant see enough from the photo. The coloring is called Columbian. She could be Columbian Wyandotte (rose comb), Light Sussex (pink legs + single comb), Columbian Rock (yellow legs + single comb). I THINK I see yellow legs and no single comb--so my guess is Columbian Wyandotte.

Oh I see. I'll try to get better pics tomorrow. There's a couple white ones with feathered legs. Different size and combs than the white ones pictured. The two pictured have next to no comb. Ive had them about 4 months now. I picked up two other ones with them that are only recently obviously roosters so I'm guessing they're all less than a year old. I have a lot of one or two this breed, one or two of that breed. So I'm trying to thin out the "odd balls" but I want to make sure I'm giving the right information out.

Oh I see. I'll try to get better pics tomorrow. There's a couple white ones with feathered legs. Different size and combs than the white ones pictured. The two pictured have next to no comb. Ive had them about 4 months now. I picked up two other ones with them that are only recently obviously roosters so I'm guessing they're all less than a year old. I have a lot of one or two this breed, one or two of that breed. So I'm trying to thin out the "odd balls" but I want to make sure I'm giving the right information out.

If you pick out the ones you really want identification, even if it's barnyard mix or Easter egger, try to get photos showing: comb, legs, ears and body shape. Sometimes the fastest way to decide the general breed is a combination of leg color, ear color and comb. A white bird with a single comb, yellow legs and white ears will probably be labeled a Leghorn, while a similar bird with red ears would probably be called a White Rock (though heavier in build than the Leghorn). A mixed-breed with green legs and pea comb will usually be called an Easter Egger.

Back
Top Bottom