One Tough Roo

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by JRGriff, Dec 31, 2013.

1. JRGriff

JRGriff Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Milton, West Virginia
    While visiting family on Christmas Day, our flock was free ranging. We came home to find feathers from many of our ~20 hens spread around the farm. A neighborhood dog from a mile away had visited our normally very quiet of our nick of the woods.There was only one head missing - our Brahma roo that sat 2nd seat. I was relieved to see our alpha roo had survived, but felt bad that our backup had been lost.

This morning I got a call that one of our flock was spotted nearly a mile away next to the home of the dogs that we suspected had caused the incident. My wife had done a head-count the night before and we were surprised that it was the missing roo that we had thought dead. He survived six nights and days in the tough West Virginia weather and tougher dog population with nothing except the woods for cover. We brought him home and he is now in the garage eating and drinking after the ordeal. It's very true about the Brahmas...they can be a hearty and strong breed. Very glad to have the tough boy home.

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Wow! Great story. And he's not injured at all?

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That is definitely one tough and lucky rooster. Glad he and the girls are all OK. Hope you are able to take care of the dogs that caused the incident if they return.

4. JRGriff

Dec 29, 2013
    Milton, West Virginia
    Thanks! It was ummm...taken care of [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Glad you got him back okay. Poor boy. Those people need to keep check of their dogs!! [​IMG]

6. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    So glad your roo is okay! What an amazing story!

7. showinbirds

showinbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    COLUMBUS, KS
    That's great!!!!!

8. JRGriff

Dec 29, 2013
    Milton, West Virginia
    Thanks everyone! He's got some re-feathering to do from the attack but he's doing real well.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What an awesome story! Glad he's back on track.

10. JRGriff

Dec 29, 2013
    Milton, West Virginia
    Some tail and rump feathers missing, but here's the fella out-and-about today:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by