One Uuuuuuugly chick

geojane42

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
I wanted to post some pictures but I can't find the cable for my camera so you'll have to use your imagination....

I have a 5 week old Chantecler that looks like it was beat with the ugly stick. She has a crossed beak and seems to be forever stuck in that in-between fuzz and feather stage. She seems to be eating just fine and has plenty of spunk but she really looks rough. Her feathers have come in quite patchy... the tops of her wings are just pink skin and her neck has just a few sad looking feathers. I've never had a white chicken before so maybe this is normal... maybe it just looks bad because her skin is so light... but I have another Chantecler that is only a 2-3 weeks older and looks a heck of a lot better. Whaddya think? Is she seriously messed up? or just ugly?

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

She may be messed up. If she is thriving then the choice is yours. The momma might have culled her at hatching. If she eats well and continues to grow fine...she may have other issues too and just be special.
Caroline

I have one of those too.... It's a columbian wyandotte and in these pics it is 8 weeks old. All of my other 8 week olds are fully feathered and look like chickens. This one is a bit strange looking and I think there is a genetic "burp" when it came to the white feathers... I guess we'll just have to wait and see if they grow their feathers!

47961_img_1457.jpg

47961_img_1463.jpg

Cabot, your chick looks part Frizzled. Could be real pretty when older. I like her.

geojane42 - when you described her i immediatly thought you light have a cornish X instead of a chantecler.

You both might want to try putting some vitamins (Poly-vi-sol --no iron) in the water or sprinkling some Nutrional yeast on the food. It won't hurt and might help.

still can't find the stupid camera cable but cabot's pic is pretty close with the baby fuzz and ugly feathers. With the crossed beak too, she really looks pitiful.

I have another Chantecler from the same place that looks great so I'm pretty sure she's a Chantecler.

ok here's a pic.... this is actually a pretty good pic of her. She's uglier than she looks:

DSCF1138.jpg

Oh, I just love an underdog, so I hope you keep her. As far as the feathering goes, I don't think she's really ugly. Now, I had a cockerel chick that feathered so much more slowly than the rest, I thought he was a mutant......and he turned out beautiful!

I hope you give her a chance! What the heck!

Back
Top Bottom