One week old, sick chick with green poop!

Achickenlady24

Hatching
Apr 25, 2021
Hi all,

I have a baby broiler chick who is just over a week old. i first noticed him out of his brothers because I thought he had hurt his foot. He refused to walk on one side and held it up. I made him a makeshift cast using a cotton q-tip. I separated him and had him in with three other buddies and he had his ”cast” on For maybe a day before I checked on him and saw it off. He was standing fine though so I left it off but kept him quarantined because I could tell he was still not stable. Since then, he has been clearly much smaller and less stable from his rapidly growing brothers. He still seems perky and aware enough of his surroundings but I’ve gotten increasingly worried about him. He’s so tired all the time and doesn’t do much of anything but sleep. He doesn’t even seem to eat or drink a lot without my promoting (I wake him up every so often and hold him up to food and water and he will drink on his own). He does still seem to move around a bit but I think a few days ago he used to stand up on his own more naturally where as now he only sits and lays down. I will say his legs and feet are incredibly small in comparison to his brothers and I thought he was just a runt but now it seems like something else is wrong with him. I only have one other small silky mix baby quarantined with him because everyone else has gotten too big and he gets very upset without a buddy (understandably). I’ve been giving him save a chick electrolits and rooster booster in his water along with chick starter and raw egg yoke. I started the egg yoke yesterday and that’s when I also started to notice a green color poop from him. I’ve been monitoring it more and realized he seems to be producing bright green color poop. After researching I saw this is a bad sign if he hasnt been exposed to any green foods (he hasn’t and his buddy hasn’t either and has a darker brown poop), and saw it could mean worms or ecoli. Since he is so young though, it seems weird it would be worms and from what I understand ecoli treatment has to be given as an injection. He’s so small I’m worried an injection would be too much! I’m definitely willing to give him one but I want to make sure I’m not misdiagnosing him and doing more harm than good first. I am also worried about using a needle on such a small guy. he also seems to be panting a bit more now than his buddy and he seems like he’s pretty thin. what can I do? Is it ecoli? It is worth mentioning that he’s been vaccinated for mareks disease. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas; I’ve seen the posts about bright green poop in chickens and them dying, but it seems like 1. It never happens to chicks and 2. There’s no definite diagnosis. Any suggestions help! I’ve gotten really attached to this poor little guy and want to help him as much as possible!! thank you !

Back
Top Bottom