One year old with pasty butt?

Jwebb35

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
Central IN
Gertie, my one year old Easter egger, I think has pasty butt...lots of hard dark muck on her back end. (It's so hard to see in the pic..sorry) how do I help her clean this up? She does NOT like to be touched..

How can I prevent this? Nothing in their world has changed..plenty of food, water, free range, and I clean their coop daily.

Poor Gertie

Thanks!

Julie

Attachments

• PXL_20230512_203730019.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230512_203730019.MP.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 20
I would partially fill a bucket with warm soapy water. Then place her in it and usi friction soak and get lose all of the poop. Take her out and dry her off with a towel. If it is cold blow dry as well. Then if any parts of feathers are still dirty, trim of any excess fluff. Some chickens may occasionally have runny poops from something they are eating, or they are drinking more water than normal. Some droppings may not clear the vent, especially if the hen is enlarged below her vent. Once they have a dirty vent, it will just keep piling on. In warm weather fly strike can be a concern where flies with lay maggot eggs on poopy vents. That can be a deadly condition.

You'll need to wash her, rinse and dry her and clip back those feathers. I like to use cat flea shampoo just in case there are mites. When washing her make sure she doesn't have a prolapse or yeast infection (vent gleet). Once she his dry you can apply an antinfungal cream to the area once a day for 5 days then reevaluate.

Back
Top Bottom