Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics
This is my silver penciled blue brahma that came from Green fire farms. I have him with 2 show quality dark hens. Ive only hatched one chick so far and it is blue. Im waiting fr them to get back to laying after their molt so I can fill my incubator.

droolin.gif

hello i just recently got some brahma chicks
blue and gold partridge, gold laced and light.
i will be breeding a partridge roo with a gold laced and a light hens in future.
has anyone does this?
do you have pics of the offspring?

they are for consumption so its not like it really matters but my bf is super curious.

thanks!

with such beautiful potential why would you slate such rare and special birds for consumption. First of all they mature very slowly, meat breeds are bred to mature very fast, like Cornish rock cross. You have real showroom potential in those Brahmas, Please consider selling them to someone interested in showing them, and buy chicks that will mature faster and give you better meat value.

i will be breeding a partridge roo with a gold laced and a light hens in future.
has anyone does this?

they are for consumption so its not like it really matters but my bf is super curious.

thanks!

with such beautiful potential why would you slate such rare and special birds for consumption. First of all they mature very slowly, meat breeds are bred to mature very fast, like Cornish rock cross. You have real showroom potential in those Brahmas, Please consider selling them to someone interested in showing them, and buy chicks that will mature faster and give you better meat value.
Good point. Here, a nice brahma to look beautiful on someoe´s property costs R$150 or so. Crazy price. A free-range chicken to eat costs R$20 or so. We sell the others to people who want those beautiful birds on their properties. I breed the cocks to some of my 'all-purpose hens for faster-growing meat birds, which are also very popular. Just a thought. :)

has anyone does this?

thanks!

A partridge male over a gold laced female will produce gold based chicks, both male and female. Pattern wise, I would expect a kind of tweener pattern, somewhere between the two.

A partridge male over light hen will produce gold based pullets, and split gold/silver cockerels. It has been my experience that the chicks will more closely resemble the columbian pattern of the lights, with some additional ticking, or slight penciling probable on the females. The males being split gold/silver will most likely resemble a light male with brassy color showing in neck and saddle feathers.

Back
Top Bottom