Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Quote:
Vulture hocks are a recessive gene, meaning it takes two copies of that gene to "show up" in a bird. Two birds each carrying one copy of the gene will not have VH feathering. When bred together they will produce 25% with VH, 50% carrying one copy, and 25% with no VH gene at all. To get rid of them, you need to eliminate any bird with visible VH feathering from your breeding pens. By breeding anything at all with VH feathers, you will pass at least one copy on to the offspring. This is why when any of these auctions pop up for eggs I always ask questions about their breeder stock having VH feathers and the percentages of the chicks hactched by the person that have vulture hocks popping out at an early age. I would surmise that most of these recent auctions have at least one breeder bird in the pen that has VH feathering. The exception to that assumption would be Big Med and Powell. I know Big Med culls anything with visible VH's, I'm assuming that Powell also does the same.

Hello, We are the friends that "big medicine" mentioned in his post about other colors of Brahmas.Have been working on Black Brahmas for approx. 5yrs now .
They are not perfect -- but very Good "we think"!

We are also working on Blue Brahmas-- In our opinion-- Better than the Blacks!
big_smile.png

Out of our Black and Blue Brahmas-- the males usually have some red on hackles and shoulders-- some do, some don't.

Working on getting the red out.

Back
Top Bottom