ongoing chicken issue, advice needed

ok so i’ve got her eating mash, but her crop still isn’t emptying, also slight problem, in feeling her abdomen the sides of it are hard like there’s bones there. i can’t tell if this is because she has lost a lot of weight or something else but it is concerning.

it feels like one longer moveable lump on the side of her abdomen, but her whole abdomen feels like one lump.

i would say egg bound but it feels longer and thinner

ok so i’ve got her eating mash, but her crop still isn’t emptying, also slight problem, in feeling her abdomen the sides of it are hard like there’s bones there. i can’t tell if this is because she has lost a lot of weight or something else but it is concerning.

it feels like one longer moveable lump on the side of her abdomen, but her whole abdomen feels like one lump.

it’s in the area where the small intestine would be

Sorry nothing is working to help her. Glad you are trying. Sugar would be very likely to have adverse affect on an antibiotic. Always check for drug interactions with glucose before mixing.

I like all the ideas of alternatives to antibiotic. I was also thinking to try a carbon flush.

In your position maybe culling is ideal because this injury probably takes time or medicine that is costly.

The lump may inflammation of liver because of how much her body is stuggling. She sounds grave, but maybe keep flushing with water and try to keep high nutrient food she can peck at, even if she is eating crumbs it is working. But sorry for the struggle.

it’s in the area where the small intestine would be

When did she last lay an egg? What you describe might be EYP or lash egg material or tumors that would of course explain the recurring crop and digestive tract issues.

fluid is also leaking from her mouth again, telling me her sour crop has returned

I think you are dealing with necrotic enteritis, and without antibiotic it sounds like she is worsening. The small intestine is blocked. Unless you can feed her neosporin for the bacitracin, probably she is worsening. That is only because it is an emergency and it is a desperate attempt to medicate her.

It cant be sour crop, her system is empty. Her small intestine is completely blocked. There is a picture what is happening here:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/necrotic-enteritis/overview-of-necrotic-enteritis-in-poultry

Again sorry this is happening. Hope you can decide her best course of treatment.

think i’m going to let her go, she was a really good chicken but there’s not much more i CAN do at this point. small intestine is completely blocked, i’m not sure i feel comfortable mixing something that very clearly says “external use only” and feeding it to her, she hasn’t layed, nothing is working and i gave it my best shot. i doubt she has much time left, so i will put her out with the flock to live out the rest of her days. thank you all for you continued support.

Back
Top Bottom