Ongoing feather loss! Can't figure it out!

If it doesn't feel different from the others then it most likely isn't Ascites (it is far better to assess these things by feel than look... cupping your hand between their legs whilst they are on the roost at night is a good way to check these things) but it could be that they are all carrying a bit too much fat. How much scratch have you been feeding them? Their normal layer pellet sounds fine, but if you have been overly generous with the scratch or corn or bread or other carbs over a period of time, that can result in thick fatty deposits around the abdomen and vent. I don't think there is any cause to incur a veterinary bill at this stage but obviously I am only judging that by a photo on my computer.
As regards dried meal worms, I have very recently been reading that they are banned from feeding to poultry here in the UK due to concerns about the risk of them introducing disease. Apparently the vast majority of dried meal worms are produced in China and fed on offal and other animal waste products and there is a risk that pathogens could be transmitted via their ingestion to poultry. So the meal worms are maybe not the healthy snack we have all been considering them to be. Free range is probably the biggest treat you can give them and it will help them burn off any fatty deposits but like everything, it too comes with a risk... predation. Only you can decide which risks to take on their behalf .... we all face these challenges, have made most of the same mistakes and find different ways to manage the risks, depending on our circumstances. Gaining knowledge is the best way to help you make the best decisions and BYC has been a fantastic resource in my education about poultry over the past few years.

This is sooo helpful, I can't thank you enough. I found an avian vet in the area so at least if it gets worse I know I have somewhere I can take her. So interesting about mealworms! Are there any other high protein treats you give your birds? I don't think I give them too much scratch - maybe 4-6 handfuls a day and that's for all 6 chickens and 5 ducks, but maybe that is too much? I would love to let them free range but we have a merciless hawk in our neighborhood; I am planning to create some tunnels around the yard made of wire so that they can venture out and forage but still be covered. That is my project for this weekend!

@glloyd203 Maybe try a different feed? One with more protein in it? I have been feeding all flock raiser by purina. It has 20% protein. I also offer oyster/egg shell and grit in two separate containers on the side. I switched about a month ago.
My one girl who is a brahma doesnt roost and sleeps in the nest box due to their coop being a prefab. Her bottom looks similar.
I also made a busy bottle (water bottle with holes poked in and added feed to it) so that they had something else to do in case it is feather picking. But, on mine she is either rubbing it off or picking herself.
I have a hanging suet feeder that I fill with veggie scraps too.
She is the only one with a featherless bottom, so I think it is because she isn't roosting.
We are in the middle of building a new coop. So, I hope this helps the problem.
It is my understanding that the feathers will not grow back until molt.
Also, have you tried Epsom salt baths at least for her to sit her bum in? How about some blue kote or poultry aid to help sooth?

These are some great ideas! Thank you sooo much! Do you feed All Flock to your ducks as well? I've heard of that feed, I think someone recommended it in the past

This is sooo helpful, I can't thank you enough. I found an avian vet in the area so at least if it gets worse I know I have somewhere I can take her. So interesting about mealworms! Are there any other high protein treats you give your birds? I don't think I give them too much scratch - maybe 4-6 handfuls a day and that's for all 6 chickens and 5 ducks, but maybe that is too much? I would love to let them free range but we have a merciless hawk in our neighborhood; I am planning to create some tunnels around the yard made of wire so that they can venture out and forage but still be covered. That is my project for this weekend!
That is too much, imo.
I'd say cut back to once a week instead of daily.

Yes it's to much.

Fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome is linked to to many treats.

For your number of birds 1/2 cup a day is plenty. Measure it out so You get used to what that amount looks like.

Have you checked them for mites??
I saw Kiki ask for an enlarged picture of what appears to be mite debris on the bird.

Mites can and will literally suck the life out of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom