Ongoing Marans egg pic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I have in the house right now. I have older photos of other breeders, but no way to prove the dates. I have been happy with 11 Marans orders of eggs I have received from a variety of breeders. All but 2 I have purchased honestly represented their eggs. I always ask what number they are. And as I said except for 2 I have been thrilled. The 2 that were disappointing do not (IMHO) meet the requirement to be classified as Marans as they were not a 4, in fact not even a 3. I am a firm believer that most people are honest and want to do the right thing and my small sample of experiences seems to support that.

Here are some of my Copper Blacks from the past day or two.

solskenfarm2009140.jpg

solskenfarm2009138.jpg

Here are Nivtup's beautiful Golden Cuckoo Eggs. We are day 10 or so. I am really hoping for a good hatch and if not, I will order more from Don. He is a really nice person. He was worried I wouldn't approve. Silly man.
smile.png

solskenfarm2009136.jpg

Here are some golden cuckoos from another breeder from BYC. These were represented as at least a 4. I disagree. I just took them out of the hatcher as they are on day 23 and haven't pipped or hatched. I don't have my glasses (my horse broke them LOL) so I can't candle them to see if there is any movement. I have moved them to another bator to see if anything happens, but I seriously doubt it. I've had bad hatches, but never zero. Odd......

solskenfarm2009135.jpg

Here they are side by side with the newspaper, per the OPs request. Nivtup's are on the right, the darker ones, and the other breeders are on the left, the lighter ones. I live in the boonies and only have yesterday's newspaper and it's not local but hopefully it works.
smile.png
All these pictures were taken in the same spot and so they pretty accurately reflect the egg color in comparison to one another.

solskenfarm2009133.jpg

Last edited:
We don't get a paper until late this afternoon. Plus I'm not sure why sands is making the rest of us prove anything. It's not our eggs/chicks who are being questioned....it's his. I'd like to see more of his eggs.

Quote:
These are eggs that Steve just picked up from the Cuckoo Marans pen.

Cuckooeggs4-4-09.jpg

Sharon

Last edited:
Quote:
I can be such a conformist, Katy.
gig.gif
You are right, of course.

I forgot to say that Birch Run's eggs are beautiful too. If your Cuckoos have feathered shanks, I might buy some from you. And I have been meaning to contact Sweet Chrunchie, as I know she's gotten good egg color from her Cuckoos.
wee.gif

Quote:
These are eggs that Steve just picked up from the Cuckoo Marans pen.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/sandspoultry/Cuckooeggs4-4-09.jpg

Sharon

That certainly wasn't what was sold to Harp Turkey Ranch.

As we all know with dark colored eggs - the flash will make them appear lighter then they are. If you look back thru the post, you will find one from David in Washington, NC who came just a few days after Harp posted that picture and he made his own post. He was very surprised at the color of them in person.
Harps picture was taken with a flash. The one we just took was taken outside with no flash. I can take the same eggs and take a picture with a flash and they will appear much lighter. The picture I posted today was not retouched in any way.
Sharon

Harps picture was taken with a flash

No it was not. My cam will no flash in the day light only when dark. They where taken on my table with the kitchen lights on.​

I can not show you egg pictures of the BCs because they are too young to lay. If you would like I can run out back and take a picture of the birds, if you would like to see them?
Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom