Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

So glad you like the machine. what do you think of the monster walking foot? :lol: That is awesome! The only thing that machines doesn't do is brew my coffee.

Beautiful (as always). It's 38 degrees here this morning. Not quite cool enough for a fire, but cool enough for a sweater and flannel pajama pants.

I haven't tried the walking foot yet. It is huge!
I will give it a go soon though. Going to make a table runner if things calm down here at all.

I use Warm and Natural. It's 87% cotton and antiques beautifully with the first wash.
it can get pricey though. JoAnn will put out a coupon for 60% off that you can use on a bolt now and then. I get it by the 45 yard roll direct from The Warm Company because I use so much.

I also love the Warm and Natural!
(And the 60% off coupons for it!)

I am amazed the bargains you can find if you shop Walmart online and Amazon. I usually have both windows open at the same time and generally can find a real deal. I'm liking the bolts now because of the lack of fold lines I have to deal with in the batting.

All that said, I also have no issue using a polyester batting as long as it's a pretty consistent one. Leah Day uses them quite a lot and it's to my surprise, because so many folks are what I call "batting snobs" and turn their noses up at anything polyester. It doesn't breathe like cotton or cotton blends, very true, but when you can get a queen size batting for $5 or thereabouts, it's super cost effective and if you are strapped for cash, it's a viable alternative, IMO. I mean, just think of $20 vs $5, right? I've used them quite lot in the low loft variety, though not lately, because I've been buying bolts of cotton or the blends. If you want the antique look, though, like Terrie says, you'd have to get a cotton or a blend for them to draw up a tad in the first wash. I think polys are good for table runners and such because they don't shrink up like cottons, as long as they are a low loft.

I am amazed the bargains you can find if you shop Walmart online and Amazon. I usually have both windows open at the same time and generally can find a real deal. I'm liking the bolts now because of the lack of fold lines I have to deal with in the batting.

All that said, I also have no issue using a polyester batting as long as it's a pretty consistent one. Leah Day uses them quite a lot and it's to my surprise, because so many folks are what I call "batting snobs" and turn their noses up at anything polyester. It doesn't breathe like cotton or cotton blends, very true, but when you can get a queen size batting for $5 or thereabouts, it's super cost effective and if you are strapped for cash, it's a viable alternative, IMO. I mean, just think of $20 vs $5, right? I've used them quite lot in the low loft variety, though not lately, because I've been buying bolts of cotton or the blends. If you want the antique look, though, like Terrie says, you'd have to get a cotton or a blend for them to draw up a tad in the first wash. I think polys are good for table runners and such because they don't shrink up like cottons, as long as they are a low loft.

I see the benefits of both types. Definitely going to be looking at walmart and amazon online.
I like the crinkles of cotton and hubby likes the poof of poly.
I found a neat little video of a pieced star table topper. I will give that a go today for sure.

Going to have to remind myself to OPEN then cut. Angles would be all wonky if I don't.

I see the benefits of both types. Definitely going to be looking at walmart and amazon online.
I like the crinkles of cotton and hubby likes the poof of poly.
I found a neat little video of a pieced star table topper. I will give that a go today for sure.

Going to have to remind myself to OPEN then cut. Angles would be all wonky if I don't.
I love that! Chain piecing is the best. Be sure to post what you make. :)

I made a small one to see if I could actually do it. Then a big one for my hubby's boss's wife.
turned out pretty good so far I think.
Just the tops are done.
The big one is about 3' across!

IMG_20181008_103528.jpg
This is the big one.
IMG_20181008_103610.jpg

Below is the small one.
IMG_20181008_103546.jpg

Pretty neat trick I think.
My props to the maker of the video.

Those look very nice.
Was it easy? I can't watch the video right now, I will watch when I get home tonight.

They were surprisingly easy. One thing that got me was if ending the line of sewing on an external point of the star make sure you leave at least the width of the fabric strip beyond the point. Same goes for beginning on a point.

I must have sounded like a loon in my sewing room! I got all giddy when points matched!
As long as my 1/4" was good on my seams my points matched!

I learned something from an Edyta Sitar video about lining up the center points too. "Start in the middle and sew out then repeat for the other half.
:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom