Ongoing Quilt Projects, Continued from the "No Appreciation...." Thread

Pics
You can also quilt it with no batting. I have one backed in minky that I love to use in the cool summer mornings and evenings.

Yes! I have also heard of people using old sheets or a single layer of flannel as batting, to make a nice lightweight summer quilt. I have never personally tried it (it’s quite cold where I live,) but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

And hello again everyone! Just catching up on what I’ve missed out on over the last couple of months. :)

Thanks, I was thinking it was about $80 or so.

This is what I've decided to do with the spring quilt to lengthen it and make it a twin. I'm putting 2" border top and bottom only, adding rows top and bottom of 9" star blocks, same star block as in the center, just smaller, and then, I'll border around the entire thing with the same deep purple as the dividing border between the main quilt and the two strips of smaller stars. I need sixteen 9" star blocks and I've made two and have to quit for the day on this project. Ran out of steam.

**if you see trash on my carpet, it's shavings off my socks, LOL. I wear my chicken shoes and leave them outside the kitchen door, but my socks have shavings on them that I can't always knock off before I come inside. Too cold not to wear socks! I swear I vacuum this craft room rug multiple times a week just because of the shavings issue.
View attachment 1267909 View attachment 1267910 View attachment 1267911

Love the color pallet you went with on your spring quilt! So lovely. :)

You can also quilt it with no batting. I have one backed in minky that I love to use in the cool summer mornings and evenings.

I did that exact thing when I made a very large tablecloth for a friend, using the same type blocks as our staff block swap. It's a great way to learn the stitches, then you add a very low-loft batting to the next one. Cotton is more expensive but it's the flattest of all, or a 60/40 blend is okay, too.

This was made with no batting, hand quilted.

DCP_5992.jpg

I just took my MIL's quilt off Lillian. I backed the quilt in flannel for softness and warmth for her old bones as well as slide resistance in case she uses it on her bed. Low loft poly batting for lightness and ease in washing. Normally I use Warm and natural exclusively, but it does get heavy when laundered. At 99, my MIL is pretty frail. Now to trim and bind and I can go on to other stuff.

Gigi's quilt.jpg

Cyn, please note the wall hanging. ;)

I just took my MIL's quilt off Lillian. I backed the quilt in flannel for softness and warmth for her old bones as well as slide resistance in case she uses it on her bed. Low loft poly batting for lightness and ease in washing. Normally I use Warm and natural exclusively, but it does get heavy when laundered. At 99, my MIL is pretty frail. Now to trim and bind and I can go on to other stuff.

Cyn, please note the wall hanging. ;)

Such a pretty, cheerful quilt, Terrie. The Attic Windows looks great on your wall! You know that I have taken to using a lot of low loft poly batting. It's so much less expensive and I don't see much issue with it. I have a Warm & Natural for a twin ready for one of my completed tops, but two decent polyesters for the others.

A friend of Tom's on FB is buying my queen size Scattered Hearts and the Reversible Quilt, both! And she commissioned a painting of a rooster from Tom as well.

I'm thinking "who is Lillian, and why does she have your quilt?" Then I see the name on your machine. :D
How do you work with that frame? Where do you sit? To the side instead of the front of the machine?
You'd need a big room to be able to work in....

Back
Top Bottom