Ongoing Respiratory Problems

lilypad

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
UK
Hi all! Hope you're all doing well :)

I was hoping someone might be able to shine a bit of light on this problem that has been going on for 4-5 months now (maybe even longer).

My lovely faverolle, Aurora, started coughing/sneezing quite a few months ago now. She has no other symptoms other than this cough/sneeze and a bit of a wheeze. She sneezes a few times a week, sometimes days with no sneezing at all but of course I'm not with them 24/7, but she really doesn't sneeze much. The occasional tiny amount of clear liquid comes out.
She's never looked poorly, eats absolutely fine, very active, lays, and is currently broody for the 3rd time this year!
D.gif

She was on tylan and then a tablet antibiotic (can't remember the name) which had no effect at all. This took us up until about June.

I thought it must be something I was doing at home, knowing chickens are very sensitive I checked online to make sure I was doing everything right, enough ventilation etc.
I found out even though I was using wood shavings, they weren't actually the wood shavings "meant" for chickens, more like a less dusty sawdust, so I ordered some proper wood shavings for the coop.

I thought I saw an improvement, being that it was summer I was spending a lot of time in the garden and barely heard her sneeze at all, so I thought she was on the mend and she was just sensitive to dust.

At the beginning of September she suddenly started sneezing more - I've noticed when its been raining and there is more moisture in the air she seems to sneeze more.

I took her to the vets again and she was booked in for an endoscopy, but there was too much mucus in her throat, so instead she went for an xray and some mucus sent away for tests.
The xray was clear, and the tests showed she had a bacterial infection.

She was put on a course of baytril which again had no effect.

Two weeks ago I had to go and see another vet because the one we had been seeing is off for a few weeks. The new vet said the bacterial infection was likely a secondary problem and the main problem was likely Mycoplasma. She was put on 1/4 tablet Doxycycline (dissolved in 5ml water) and 0.2ml Loxicom daily.

Again this has had no effect other than the Doxycycline causing her a lot of pain. The vet said this drug would be harsh on her throat, and after 3 days every time I was giving her it she was squawking, sneezing and stretching her neck out looking like she was really struggling to breath/in pain. I persisted for another few days but I rang the vet and she said I was fine to dilute it some more. I've tried this for the past week but she still struggles so much and we both end up with the medicine all over us. She now squawks/sneezes/pants frantically for 20-30 minutes after I give her it (honestly the last time I gave her it I thought she was going to die or pass out she was struggling so much) so I have had to stop.

She still has no symptoms other than the odd sneeze and wheeze (and now a sore throat I imagine) and we know there is mucus in her throat.

She has another appointment on Tuesday evening, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what this could be?

Sorry this was so long winded!

Thanks for reading
smile.png

Most respiratory diseases are chronic, and can come back whenever the weather changes or there is stress. MG or mycoplasma is very common. Aspergillosis, a fungal disease from mold can cause respiratory disease also, and can be complicated by other bacterial and viral diseases. It sounds like you are doing just about everything there is to do. Denagard (tiamulin) is one MG drug that is used in one dosage to treat an outbreak, and in a lower dose once a month to prevent infections. It also tastes very bad, and many use flavoring to make it more palatable. Here are a couple of articles to read: http://academy.fwi.co.uk/Courses/Livestock/Poultry-diseases-and-pests/Aspergillosis-in-laying-birds
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/aspergillosis/overview_of_aspergillosis_in_poultry.html
http://academy.fwi.co.uk/Courses/Livestock/Poultry-diseases-and-pests/Aspergillosis-in-laying-birds

Hi all! Hope you're all doing well :)

I was hoping someone might be able to shine a bit of light on this problem that has been going on for 4-5 months now (maybe even longer).

My lovely faverolle, Aurora, started coughing/sneezing quite a few months ago now. She has no other symptoms other than this cough/sneeze and a bit of a wheeze. She sneezes a few times a week, sometimes days with no sneezing at all but of course I'm not with them 24/7, but she really doesn't sneeze much. The occasional tiny amount of clear liquid comes out.
She's never looked poorly, eats absolutely fine, very active, lays, and is currently broody for the 3rd time this year!
D.gif

She was on tylan and then a tablet antibiotic (can't remember the name) which had no effect at all. This took us up until about June.

I thought it must be something I was doing at home, knowing chickens are very sensitive I checked online to make sure I was doing everything right, enough ventilation etc.
I found out even though I was using wood shavings, they weren't actually the wood shavings "meant" for chickens, more like a less dusty sawdust, so I ordered some proper wood shavings for the coop.

I thought I saw an improvement, being that it was summer I was spending a lot of time in the garden and barely heard her sneeze at all, so I thought she was on the mend and she was just sensitive to dust.

At the beginning of September she suddenly started sneezing more - I've noticed when its been raining and there is more moisture in the air she seems to sneeze more.

I took her to the vets again and she was booked in for an endoscopy, but there was too much mucus in her throat, so instead she went for an xray and some mucus sent away for tests.
The xray was clear, and the tests showed she had a bacterial infection.

She was put on a course of baytril which again had no effect.

Two weeks ago I had to go and see another vet because the one we had been seeing is off for a few weeks. The new vet said the bacterial infection was likely a secondary problem and the main problem was likely Mycoplasma. She was put on 1/4 tablet Doxycycline (dissolved in 5ml water) and 0.2ml Loxicom daily.

Again this has had no effect other than the Doxycycline causing her a lot of pain. The vet said this drug would be harsh on her throat, and after 3 days every time I was giving her it she was squawking, sneezing and stretching her neck out looking like she was really struggling to breath/in pain. I persisted for another few days but I rang the vet and she said I was fine to dilute it some more. I've tried this for the past week but she still struggles so much and we both end up with the medicine all over us. She now squawks/sneezes/pants frantically for 20-30 minutes after I give her it (honestly the last time I gave her it I thought she was going to die or pass out she was struggling so much) so I have had to stop.

She still has no symptoms other than the odd sneeze and wheeze (and now a sore throat I imagine) and we know there is mucus in her throat.

She has another appointment on Tuesday evening, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what this could be?

Sorry this was so long winded!

Thanks for reading
smile.png

I have 2 silkies that can not breath through their nostrils to much mucas ,they breath through their mouth. seems like mine have what yours have

Most respiratory diseases are chronic, and can come back whenever the weather changes or there is stress. MG or mycoplasma is very common. Aspergillosis, a fungal disease from mold can cause respiratory disease also, and can be complicated by other bacterial and viral diseases. It sounds like you are doing just about everything there is to do. Denagard (tiamulin) is one MG drug that is used in one dosage to treat an outbreak, and in a lower dose once a month to prevent infections. It also tastes very bad, and many use flavoring to make it more palatable. Here are a couple of articles to read: http://academy.fwi.co.uk/Courses/Livestock/Poultry-diseases-and-pests/Aspergillosis-in-laying-birds
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/aspergillosis/overview_of_aspergillosis_in_poultry.html
http://academy.fwi.co.uk/Courses/Livestock/Poultry-diseases-and-pests/Aspergillosis-in-laying-birds

Thank you very much for the info!
I've never used hay because of risk of mold, but have been wondering for a while if it may be fungal. The first vet mentioned a fungal infection a few months ago but the tests he sent away last month only showed the bacterial infection.
As all the antibiotics she has been on haven't shown any improvement I will mention on Tuesday if it's possible to do another test. I feel so helpless, I'm just glad she doesn't seem to be suffering at the moment and is happy enough to be broody in October
lol.png

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this before she gets any worse.

Last edited:
I have 2 silkies that can not breath through their nostrils to much mucas ,they breath through their mouth. seems like mine have what yours have

Oh no :( have you had any tests done on your silkies?

Luckily Aurora doesn't have a problem breathing through her nose, I've never seen her breath out of her mouth apart from after giving her Doxyclycline.

I hope your silkies get better
smile.png

Silkies... Sounds like wet pox mine had it the only thing u can do is keep water clean and try to keep their immune system up I gave mine antibiotics in the water other than that it just has to run its course.it was easier for mine to eat if I put water in their food and made a mash out of it.

Last edited:
Silkies... Sounds like wet pox mine had it the only thing u can do is keep water clean and try to keep their immune system up I gave mine antibiotics in the water other than that it just has to run its course.it was easier for mine to eat if I put water in their food and made a mash out of it.

I stuff a vitamin down their throats and give them soft bread and grubs 1 silkie looks to be getting better,the other is at her worse stage of it and my brown hen is now eating better and foraging but still walks a little sluggish and her droppings are now solid. a couple of them do have little bumps on their face

It could be also an ammonia billed up in your cup!
You should bring your nose to 30-40 cm from the coup floor
And see if you can bread normally. If you feel stinging sensation
In your nose it could be that. If this is the situation you should clean thoroughly the floor of the chicken coop, and make sure the chicken coop is properly ventilated.

It could be also an ammonia billed up in your cup!
You should bring your nose to 30-40 cm from the coup floor
And see if you can bread normally. If you feel stinging sensation
In your nose it could be that. If this is the situation you should clean thoroughly the floor of the chicken coop, and make sure the chicken coop is properly ventilated.

Helloo,
I only have 5 chickens in a 4x6 shed, well ventilated, cleaned every morning and thoroughly cleaned once 4-6 weeks.
Honestly even I'd sleep in there :)

Back
Top Bottom