1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Online hatchery with no minimum ????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by valfox, Aug 10, 2014.

1. valfox

valfox New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Can someone please tell me a hatchery that doesn't require a high minimum i only want to buy 2 not 15!

2. JoyAnna

JoyAnna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Maple Falls, Washington
    I believe the problem with small orders (only 2 ducklings) is that it is not totally safe to ship so few birds. This would be so if you are considering newly hatched. A larger group of birds can help keep all of them warm enough.

3. valfox

valfox New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    i know but the problem with that is i don't have enough room for that many ducks at my house. Luckily i found a website that will sell me just 2. It's called MetzerFarms.com

4. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    here's a snippet from Metzer's

If you wish to order fewer than the Standard Minimum number of ducks (10), the cost of the birds must be at least $39, excluding sexing charges.
    You may remove these birds from your order, add more to meet the cost minimum, or you may opt to pay the minimum price ($39) for these birds.
    Any sexing charges will be in addition to the minimum price of $39.

so for those 2 duckling you will be charged the $39 plus shipping. back in april i bought 6 ducks from them and it still didn't reach the $39 so i did opt to pay the $39 but its an awful lot to pay for just two though i know their worth it.

do you not have anyone near you who would want a couple ducks? buying a ceratin amount will help insure that your babies arrive healthy and happy theres alot of risk with just two.

5. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    I just ordered 3 WH from Metzers ...it's a bit pricey with the minimum requirement, but in my situation it is worth it, as I wanted 3 sexed of a particular breed.

As for shipping safety, Metzers is well known for their shipping abilty, high quality stock and great customer service...and to aid in the little's safety, I opted for the grow gel and heat pack.

We will see in a month :) (scheduled 9/9/14 hatch/ship time)

Cheers'

Dan

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  6. Eluria

Eluria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    I just ordered from Metzer's as well--I think my order total was $81 for 4 ducklings. That included sexing charges, gro-gel, the heat pack, shipping, and the $39 minimum order charge for the birds. If I had only ordered 3, I think it would have been like $4 less was all, because it would have only subtracted a sexing charge and a gro-gel packet. The 4th duck is sort of my "insurance" in case anything happens to one since I can't minimum-order just one duck.

Totally worth it IMO to get sexed birds of the exact breeds I wanted (2 Harlequins, 1 Blue Swedish, 1 Cayuga) since I can only have a few. If I was on a farm or commercially breeding and I needed a lot of ducks I might not have thought so, but then, if I was on a farm, I wouldn't have needed to worry about the minimum order charge ;)

TDD2--mine ship on August 25th, so we will be new duck parents together. Can't wait to see pics of your babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by