Online Large Fowl Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far those heritage RIR are doing well. I have them in the grow out pen in Chicken City. The turkey poults I traded for are blue slates, if she is interested. I am way jealous of your tolbundts. I have never seen one around here. Looking forward to seeing you, Pauletta:)

I will tell her they are blue slate. She may like that idea. She really misses her turkeys. I am only getting 6+ eggs so I just have to keep my fingers crossed for 3-4 of them to hatch. Then I will have to keep them happy and healthy :)

Yesterday I was watering chickens and throwing greens in there, and I opened the nest box, and there was a chicken snake with an egg in its mouth!!! So I picked up the snake and removed the egg. DH said I should have put the snake in the garage to eat mice, but I reminded him about last year when the snake got into the incubator and ate chicks and eggs, plus the snake would get out and be after other eggs. Then I saw the owl last night in the driveway, so he is likely helping with the mouse issue.
I need to replace the bird netting on top of the grow out pen, DH talked me into using it and now it is falling apart. Luckily that run is empty right now. I also have two empty coops, an empty pen in the barn, and two empty chicken tractors. Plus the empty room in the barn with brooders. Of course, I need to clean it all and this heat is not helping.
Need to get more chicken feed and a hair cut,maybe I will go to town today.

Yesterday I was watering chickens and throwing greens in there, and I opened the nest box, and there was a chicken snake with an egg in its mouth!!! So I picked up the snake and removed the egg. DH said I should have put the snake in the garage to eat mice, but I reminded him about last year when the snake got into the incubator and ate chicks and eggs, plus the snake would get out and be after other eggs. Then I saw the owl last night in the driveway, so he is likely helping with the mouse issue.
I need to replace the bird netting on top of the grow out pen, DH talked me into using it and now it is falling apart. Luckily that run is empty right now. I also have two empty coops, an empty pen in the barn, and two empty chicken tractors. Plus the empty room in the barn with brooders. Of course, I need to clean it all and this heat is not helping.
Need to get more chicken feed and a hair cut,maybe I will go to town today.
NO WAY in a million years would I have picked up a snake and removed a egg. That snake would have been a dead snake and it could keep that egg. I would have to give it to the guineas. I really do not like snakes.

Oh well, watch out snakes! I've seen the chickens eat toads, and until this summer thought you guys were making it up that they also ate mice. Oh how I wish they didn't stop after the first one, but it was immensly satisfying to see chickens play "keep away" with that mouser.

No way girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope, nope, nope! I would have killed that snake with a shovel. Forget the egg. I have a 6 foot black snake on the burn pile right now. I am sorry but No snake is a good snake in MY yard. I have lived here almost 7 years and have killed roughly 3 copperheads and 3 black snakes and a few green snakes a year. My husband....... not so much......
idunno.gif
gig.gif

He gets the heebie jeebies from them. You be careful
hugs.gif

I have been handling snakes since I was a kid. So far I still have both hands. If I think a snake is venomous , I don't mess with it. I was considering feeding the snake to the pigs, but a chick buyer wanted it so I gave it to her. I usually relocate snakes if I can because they do a good job on mice.
Went to Jackson today and the feed store had a sign up that feed would be going up in price due to the drought. Not what anyone wants to hear.
The heat and humidity is so oppressive, I am trying to go out mostly after dark. It poured rain in town today but I don't think we got any here.
Got news today my son's wife is expecting their third child. I don't know how they will afford another, he already works two jobs. Hopefully it will work out ok. I am happy for them, but wish he had finished college so he could earn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom