Online standard of perfection.

I dont know a thing about chicken shows but I do know a little about AKC for dogs Some ideas apply If the club is failing....and this hasn't been applied maybe it should.If thas i have no clue except advertise more..

AKC require dogs to be registered with the AKC to be in a show at all.
Maybe with chooks money paid for a number and name listing the particular chicken you feel is good enough to show should be required litter registrations too.
For dogs its like one time $25 a dog and litter registry is per puppy you get the registery papers and # so they make their money that way and show fees I guess too
Best you are sure your dog is from the line you expected it to be from and not from someone just telling you it is or even the right BREED itself on some..

Good money making idea If this hasn't been implimented already

BUT also the standards are listed online for all to see FREE

To me its a better idea b/c someone like me ...i dont care about showing but when I have chicks or buy would like to know which is the better chicks to buy keep and sell and i havent got a clue only ones I think look "NICE" to me.Sure icoudl spmned $14 and probably will at some point ..but until then?
The chicken pic I have put up on here to find which i should keep the answer I got was "looks like poor Buffs to me" which tells me ZERO about what I should be looking for.... so this isnt the place to find the answers either I guess

To me sort of silly to have to buy a book to find out what to keep (the big breed secrets ) and How good my chicken is if im not really into the show idea.

If I have a good candidate then I imagine I would want to buy the book anyway to learn more about shows, grooming for shows and other details like I have with my dogs.
Maybe if the Chicken club is serious about their membership and shows they should have members do this if they arent.
Lots of advantages there and constant money coming in for the club on new chickens registered.

All kinds of ways to make club money
And if they do all this already why are they failing and the AKC isn't when chicken keeping is on the rise?
And AKC today even has competition from many less- than- meticulous- about -their - dogs -creds clubs horning in telling ppl list your dog with us and often they are mixed or dogs which didn't get registered with AKC due to infractions poor record keeping on who the parents are really etc (well another topic)

Maybe some online advertising too would help as someone said where do you FIND the book.?
Why isnt it more readily available to buy ?
Pics it on BYC for one and web address to buy? Club Members list in on their profile page asthey do what chiens thye breed on BYC

You cant hide your light in basket and expect to do well.
My humble opinion anyway

Since I was trying to find the SOP after reading about it here and really don't have the money to buy it I did some digging and found a B&W copy online. Here is the URL; http://archive.org/details/americanstandard00ameriala I hope that this is something that will be helpful I know that it is a 1910 version but it's free and two of the breeds that I have were in the book. Hppy hunting.

That's a great find. I know this is an old thread, just ran across it when I was Googling to find a copy for myself. There are now online versions you can buy, as well as bid on, on some of the online selling sites and the B&W versions are really cheap.

Bob told me, may he rest in peace, the standards have not changed, all that much, since 1910, so the older versions are still a good purchase and you can still use them with confidence.

I found a copy for $32.00 online. So far, that is the cheapest I have found, but the ones for kindle, ext. are like $10.00 and up. If you have one of those readers, that is a GREAT price. I think I'd rather have one of the older copies. Bob really talked them up to me and he did post some brief breed descriptions, especially for the Barred Plymouth Rocks from the older version.

Two reasons to buy a current Standard. First, it supports the APA. Secondly, the APA makes an inexpensive, current version available, in a ring bound for about $45 give or take. I like real books, so I bought the nice, grey hardbound version at Christmas for $75. Worth every penny.

Many of the "resellers", unauthorized re-sellers on Ebay and other places are selling a cheap, photo copy version of a really, really old standard. Buyer beware.

Two reasons to buy a current Standard. First, it supports the APA. Secondly, the APA makes an inexpensive, current version available, in a ring bound for about $45 give or take. I like real books, so I bought the nice, grey hardbound version at Christmas for $75. Worth every penny.

Many of the "resellers", unauthorized re-sellers on Ebay and other places are selling a cheap, photo copy version of a really, really old standard. Buyer beware.

Oh that's good to know Fred. The one listed for $32.00 didn't say who was selling it. I will definitely look into one from the APA.

Fred - You do realize that the 2010 SOP ( the most current ) is only $54 and $5 shipping from the APA.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom